Weak security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Weak security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Weak security
Weak security
2021-08-12 08:33:02 - last edited 2021-08-13 06:26:45
Model: TL-WA1201  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20200709 rel.66244(4555)

Hello,

I recently bought a TL-WA1201 in order to use it as a range extender for my Wi-Fi network. It was really easy to set it up and connect all my devices that are distant from the router. However, both my Windows and Apple devices are complaining about weak security. My router is using WPA2-PSK AES and I've read that the extender would use exactly the same encription, but does it really? I have a Smart Life plug that does't work with WPA2 and can't be connected to my router, but strangely enough it can be connected to my TL-WA1201. Can I be sure that the connection to the TL-WA1201 is using WPA2-PSK AES despite the "weak security" message on my Windows and Apple computers and phones?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Weak security
2021-08-13 06:26:07 - last edited 2021-08-13 06:26:45

@PeppeB  Hello, 

Thank you for your valuable feedback, as far as we know only IOS devices will warn weak security for non WPA2 AES encryption, does Windows computer aslo have the same warning? Here is the related FAQ: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2943/

Please ensure TL-WA1201 use a different SSID from router's wifi name to isloate the issue can you share a photo of the weak security Error on your devices? Thank you. 

May I know the model of your router and the network topology, eg: Router Archer C7 <wireless> TL-WA1201 (RE Mode)? Can you share with us a photo of the wireless security settings on main router,  and what are the devices (model and OS) that reports weak security, thank you. 

Options
2021-08-13 09:52:11

@Solla-topee Hi,

Thank you for your speedy reply. The warning is shown on both Windows and Apple devices. My OS versions are 

• macOs Big Sur 11.5
  • iPhone 14.7.1
  • Windows 10 Pro 21H1

Unfortunately, I can’t take any screenshots since I decided to go back to my old extender (a TP-Link powerline extender), that I can easily configure to only use WPA2-PSK AES and consequently no warning messages occur. I bought the TL-WA1201 in order to use the 5GHz band but the signal is too weak anyway. 

I believe it would be a good thing if the TL-WA1201 could be configured to only use WPA2-PSK AES when used as a range extender. This is possible if you use it in client mode or in multi-SSID. 

Options
2021-08-13 11:53:57

@PeppeB Thanks for the further information, it is pretty weird that Windows also reports the weak security error, WA1201 should also support WPA2-PSK AES as my understanding,may I have a chance to know the model of your router by the way, and we would also keep attention to similar feedback ,thank you very much. 

Options
2021-08-14 11:16:12

@Solla-topee Hello,

My router is an Arris Mitrastar GPT-2541GNAC for fiber optics. It’s configured to use WPA2-PSK AES on both bands (2.4 GHz / 5GHz). It doesn’t support WPA3.

The TL-WA1201, if used as a range extender, can only be configured with WPA/WPA2-PSK personal and you cannot choose between AES and TKIP. Both Windows and Apple devices show the weak security warning.

My old AV500 Powerline (TL-WPA4226) can be configured to only use WPA2-PSK AES. No warning messages on Windows nor Apple. However, only works well on Apple, is very unstable on Windows with this security.

Incidentally, I also have a RE580D and it can be configured to use only WPA2, but you cannot choose between AES or TKIP encryption. With this range extender I don’t get any warning message on Windows, but I still do on all Apple devices. The RE580D v1.0 gives me a very stable connection. (FW 20171220 rel. 57215(EU)) and is clearly the best solution at the time being.

If I connect directly to the Mitrastar router, without any range extender, no warning messages are shown on any device regardless OS.

Below a screenshot of the warning message when connected to RE580D on my Mac. Weak security (WPA) despite the fact that it is configured with WPA2?

Options
2021-08-17 02:32:50

@PeppeB 

Thank you for the further information, we would share this TL-WA1201 case to our team to double-check.

IOS 14 and above only recognized AES of WPA2 or WPA3, RE580D could not sync the AES only encryption, so IOS says weak security.

As the model is pretty old the related firmware is still under evaluation, thank you for your feedback.  

Options
2022-01-10 07:18:12

@Solla-topee

I recently purchased the TP-Link WA1201 platform and am having the same TKIP security concerns.  It came loaded with the most recent firmware, which is the same as the OP indicated.  Many of the RE models have had their firmware corrected.  It's 2022, and the security risks of connecting legacy devices with weak security should be an option and not forced on customers.

Does your team have an estimated time to issue upgraded firmware?

Options
2022-01-10 09:48:25 - last edited 2022-01-10 09:49:37

Hello @Leir 

There isn't known weak security concern with model TL-WA1201,  may I know do you use TL-WA1201 in Access Point mode (wired to router) or RE mode (wirelessly connected to router) ? You could try some tips here 

• Confirm Router is on WPA/WPA2- PSK(AES) security type
  • Factory reset AP and reinstall it 

How to hard reset TP-Link wireless access points, extenders to factory defaults

If the same,  you share the information here and we could look into that further:

1)  the model of router  &  a photo of Wi-Fi security settings on main router

2)  a photo of error saying weak security warning  & model of the device and its Operating system 

3) Did you try a factory reset tp-link device

4) firmware and hardware of tp-link device

Thank you

Options
Re:Weak security TL-WA855RE
2022-04-14 20:38:09

@Solla-topee 

hi i have 2 range extenders model TL-WA855RE version 4 UK which I've followed your instructions given elsewhere on the forum by updating the firmware to latest. Reset and re associate with my home network the Router of which has already got WPA2 security and the extenders have different ssid than router but after all the deeds you've described i still get weak security according to iPhone ios 15.4.1. Is there anything else you can do to sort this on font problem please? 

Options
Re:Weak security TL-WA855RE
2022-04-21 07:02:57 - last edited 2022-04-21 07:05:31

hello  @Me4a 

Please ensure router is on WPA/WPA2-AES, AES as the encryption, later factory reset extender and resintall it. 

For range extender please check this thread for RE: iPhone iOS14 recognizing the range extender wireless network as "weak security"

If the same,  you share the information here and we could look into that further:

1)  the model of router  &  a photo of Wi-Fi security settings on main router

2)  a photo of error saying weak security warning  & model of the device and its Operating system : iphone IOS 15.4.1

3) Did you try a factory reset tp-link device

4) firmware and hardware of tp-link device

As this thread is for Access point, for range extender, you could start a new thread here, thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1478

Replies: 9

Related Articles