Deco M4R Bad Performance / No Firmware Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-13 06:06:47 - last edited 2022-03-29 09:24:19
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8

Hi,

I have a Deco M4R 3-pack with bad performance (roaming and mesh dropoffs/stability) that is stuck on firmware version 1.1.8 (20191102). Using the Deco app, it tells me I'm on the latest firmware when I try to update, but based on M4 and E4 (which seem to be equivalent models) I should have firmware made sometime in 2021 that have a lot more features and performance updates.

I can't even find the model on Deco website and don't know how to get my unit updated.

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M4R Bad Performance / No Firmware Update
2021-08-13 06:22:23

@PYellow 

HI, firmware 1.1.8 is a customized firmware for local ISP in PHILIPPINES.

And it could not be updated to the generic firmware on the official website.

It is suggested to contact the ISP directly and they are able to help you update to the correct firmware.

Options
2021-08-13 09:01:41 - last edited 2021-12-14 12:14:44

@TP-Link 

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. ISP replied saying that it is up to TPLink to update the firmware and that they have no control over it. Is there anything else I could do? I'm really hoping I won't be stuck with the old firmware on otherwise very serviceable hardware.

EDIT: Would this method work? https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2958/

Options
2021-11-25 04:27:08

@PYellow 

Any update on this?!

Options
2021-12-14 12:14:36 - last edited 2022-03-29 09:24:19

@gprudenc 

For anyone else who has this issue and wants to update their Deco M4R (even when the app is not allowing you to update), *Method 2* in this link can be followed:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2958/

The latest official firmware can be found here, https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m4/#Firmware. At the time of posting, it's a big upgrade over the old firmware I was using.

Hope this helps anyone else having the same issue.

M4 = M4R in case there's any confusion due to the different models.

Options
2022-03-28 10:17:18
Hi PYellow, Thanks for your reply. I noticed also that the firmware from the different country sites (i.e. US (latest firmware found), Philippines (current location), and Singapore (where I bought my unit) are all in different versions but are all intended for Deco M4 (US) version. Since the US site has the latest firmware, would it be suitable to update using this? Or will the 'wrong' firmware brick the unit? Thanks again.
Options
2022-03-29 09:29:37

@gprudenc 

Hi, for 1.1.8 Build 20191102 Rel. 58333, it is a local-customized version without web interface.

And another firmware 1.1.8 Build 20190917 Rel. 76172, is the general firmware for non-customized US/EU versions.

Nomally the users are not supposed to get this version of Deco in Singapore and may I know where you had purchased this unit from, an online store?

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-03-31 05:37:07
I do not know how the unit was procured in Singapore (or elsewhere). It was a gift. Why is there a 'localized' version without web interface? Is it intentionally that way so that users are not able to tamper or input wrong settings? Also, the local TP-Link PH advises that since the tag (label underneath unit) indicates US V2, I should opt for the firmware posted on the US site. I am not sure whose advise/expertise to follow since TP Link reps have different conflicting views and the local service provider for whose the unit was programmed has no idea of what firmware is supposed to be in these Deco M4 US V2... what a documentary mess!
Options
2022-03-31 10:38:02
The local (PH) tech advised me: Here is the recovery procedure which is ideally the best option to upgrade both Deco M4 units. You need to perform these on your 2 Deco units. [I don't think my current firmware supports web upgrade] 1. Download the latest firmware of your Deco (see link we sent earlier) 2. Do not power on the Deco unit, connect the PC directly into one of the ethernet port of the Deco unit. 3. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 on the PC’s ethernet adapter. (no need for setting gateway or dns) 4. Use the pin to press and hold the reset button, plug the power cable in the Deco unit after that, you would be able to see the LED changes 5. On the PC, open a browser, access http://192.168.0.1, you would be able to see the firmware recovery page, you may upload the firmware and start the firmware upgrade, the webpage will tell you once the upgrade is finished. Once both M4 units are upgraded, please make sure you reset these devices again to the factory settings before you proceed to reconfigure them again. After successfully configuring the devices, you can set it back to AP mode again. Please note, the Deco if working in mesh mode uses 192.168.68.1 as their network address so this will not conflict with the local Telco's router. As for the recovery mode, not all the time the recovery mode works. We suggest that you connect the Deco and computer on a UPS if you have one in order to make sure that during the upgrade procedure, the firmware upgrade will not be interrupted.
Options
2022-04-18 06:56:26
David-TP support tech has cautioned me to NOT use latest official firmware posted on the TP-Link sites. Only the BETA firmware they PM'd/DM'd me (with special instructions) is according to them advisable to use. They are still 'working' on the firmware for 'customized for local lSP' which will become available via the next to useless Deco app at a UNDEFINED time... Adding to the frustration is that the advise given tech support on this community forum conflicts with their local tech support (PH) and their official explanation justification is that due to so many versions they 'can't keep track' hehe... So though they are providing me tech support my issue with unstable disconnecting weak security wifi from customized local PH firmware still persists! Deco M4R not recommended. If you bought one already, tough luck in irritating unstable connections!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1887

Replies: 15

Related Articles