Please implement USB HDD Spindown!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-20 09:35:25
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20210719 rel.12163(5553)

Please implement USB HDD spindown. 

Those of us who use NAS capabilities of your routers could really benefit from saving the lives of these drives and not wear out by spinning 24/7.

It makes no sense to not have this feature in 2021 With 2 usb 3.0 and type c ported routers. 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Please implement USB HDD Spindown!
2021-09-22 05:49:51

@Nikhchan 

By HDD spindown, do you refer to standby mode? The AX6000 doesn't support the USB standby feature you are requesting.

Just out of curiosity, do you know any other brand that supports this feature, we may feedback to the R & D engineers to check?

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-09-26 11:42:45

@Kevin_Z ASUS Routers do.

You can see under tech specs hdd hibernation.

https://www.asus.com/in/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-WiFi-Routers/RT-AX3000/techspec/

It would be great to have this feature on this router. 

In fact the hdd I'm using on this router did sleep on my previous Netgear r6300V2 router as well. But I was using FreshTomato on it. But I had not specifically enabled any setting for it. 

Kevin_Z wrote

@Nikhchan 

By HDD spindown, do you refer to standby mode? The AX6000 doesn't support the USB standby feature you are requesting.

Just out of curiosity, do you know any other brand that supports this feature, we may feedback to the R & D engineers to check?

Options
2021-09-27 01:38:03

@Nikhchan 

Thank you very much for your information. This will be recorded and we will feedback to the relatced department for consideration.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-09-27 04:41:26

@Nikhchan I just bought a C4000, which is older AC model and it does spin down my attached WD easystore 5TB. The easystore is USB powered in case it matters.

I verified this by putting my hand on the drive and not feeling any vibrations and the drive was cold to the touch. Also the LED was blinking slowly rather than solid.

Now, it could be that this is a feature of the drive itself and the router has nothing to do with it.

Options
2021-09-27 19:20:55

@eltee yes it seems, WD drives have this feature baked into the firmware. You can use a WD app to disable enable & Increase, decrease the time before sleep. So does the HDD start up if you try to access it via Samba or Media server? Have you checked if your router model has this festure?

Options
2021-09-27 19:48:45
oh yeah, it wakes whenever I access with smb, either from my PC or android TV. I don't use dlna but I expect it to work the same. I haven't found any documentation on the TP link C4000 regarding this. You're probably correct that it's the drive doing it. I can't imagine that a newer more expensive model lacks a feature of an older lower model. TP link needs to implement this. I figure most home users for whom the NAS features on a router are "good enough" are not using robust drives, but more likely 2.5" portables like me. Those drives are not designed to run 24/7. I would hesitate to use my drive if it didn't spin down and all things being equal would find another router brand that does it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1097

Replies: 6

Related Articles