problems expanding wifi with TL-WA850RE and Android devices.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-06 19:09:11
Region : Greece

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : latest

ISP :

hi ,i have the td-w8961nd v1 wireless model adsl router and it is workind wirelessly with all my android devices just fine.The problem is when i try to expand my wifi with the tl-wa850re extender.The connection and the setup between modem and extended is very easy and successfull and all my laptops and wireless devices connecting back and forth between the extender and the router just fine ....except my android devices.Android tablets and mobile phones can only connect once to the extender or the router.If i am connected to the extender and then move closer and connect to the router...then connection is not possible,obtaining ip forever or authentication problems (password is always right) and generally after swaping connection from extender to router ,the connection become unusable.My win7 laptop can change wifi connection from router to extender and back and internet always working just fine .With Android tablet and phone this is not possible.
The main reason that i bought the extender is to use it with android devices,please help. Thank you.
Options
11 Reply
Re:problems expanding wifi with TL-WA850RE and Android devices.
2013-05-19 00:00:11
Hi
I have exactly the same problem as described by wolfgr. The extender works just fine with IOs devices but I still cannot connect my Android tablet. Please help.

Thanks
Juan
Options
2013-07-19 05:44:57
Hi guys,

I have the same problem with a tl-wa830re.
Did any of you find a solution?

thanks.
Options
2013-07-19 15:54:18

Hoatzin wrote

Hi guys,

I have the same problem with a tl-wa830re.
Did any of you find a solution?

thanks.

Hi.
Can you give us some more information about the issue?
What is the model number of your root wireless router? Is it also TD-W8968?
Your TL-WA830RE is V1? Or V2? And what is the current firmware version on it?
What is the security type of the wireless network?
Options
2013-08-02 17:02:36
Similar thing here.
Modem/Router TP-Link TD-W8961NB(DE), latest firmware 1.0.0 Build 121031 Rel.08595
Extender: TP WA850RE v1.2, latest firmware 3.14.8 Build 130622 Rel.81738n

Windows/Linux/iOS devices work fine on the extender. When moving Android devices (Nexus4, Nexus 7) from the main WLAN to the extender WLAN, they connect to the extender, but there is no internet access.
I currently work around it by disabling DHCP on the Android clients and assign them static IP addresses manually, then they have internet access.
Options
2013-08-04 09:28:53

Random J. User wrote

Similar thing here.
Modem/Router TP-Link TD-W8961NB(DE), latest firmware 1.0.0 Build 121031 Rel.08595
Extender: TP WA850RE v1.2, latest firmware 3.14.8 Build 130622 Rel.81738n

Windows/Linux/iOS devices work fine on the extender. When moving Android devices (Nexus4, Nexus 7) from the main WLAN to the extender WLAN, they connect to the extender, but there is no internet access.
I currently work around it by disabling DHCP on the Android clients and assign them static IP addresses manually, then they have internet access.

Maybe you can adjust the wireless channel on the TD-W8961NB for a try.

BTW, what is the security type of the wireless network? What is the hardware version of TD-W8961NB?
Options
2013-08-04 21:05:31
I did play around with the channel, but no change. As I mentioned, the wifi connection itself seems to be fine. I can ping and access the extender's admin page, but not the main router or any other clients on the main router or in the internet. Aside from disabling dhcp on android clients that connect to the extender, android clients also work *with* DHCP when they only associate with the extender and have never been connected with the main wlan/router (at least since its last reboot). As soon as they get an DHCP lease while in the main wlan, then move from the main to the extender (they seem to get the same ip from the DHCP server), no packets seem to be routed/forwarded from the extender to the main AP any more.

The security type is WPA2-PSK with AES encryption, the router's HW version is 1.1.
Options
2013-08-18 09:47:48

Random J. User wrote

I did play around with the channel, but no change. As I mentioned, the wifi connection itself seems to be fine. I can ping and access the extender's admin page, but not the main router or any other clients on the main router or in the internet. Aside from disabling dhcp on android clients that connect to the extender, android clients also work *with* DHCP when they only associate with the extender and have never been connected with the main wlan/router (at least since its last reboot). As soon as they get an DHCP lease while in the main wlan, then move from the main to the extender (they seem to get the same ip from the DHCP server), no packets seem to be routed/forwarded from the extender to the main AP any more.

The security type is WPA2-PSK with AES encryption, the router's HW version is 1.1.

Hi.
Maybe you can give it a try by changing the IP address of TL-WA850RE from Smart IP to Static IP and disabling DHCP server on TL-WA850RE. The IP of TL-WA850RE can be the same network segment with TD-W8961NB.
Options
Having the same problem, has anyone solved it?
2014-07-17 19:37:20

alisa wrote

Hi.
Maybe you can give it a try by changing the IP address of TL-WA850RE from Smart IP to Static IP and disabling DHCP server on TL-WA850RE. The IP of TL-WA850RE can be the same network segment with TD-W8961NB.

Hi,

I bought this device 2 days ago and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. Windows PCs work fine, Androids cannot authenticate.
Already changed the IP address of TL-WA850RE to Static, as suggested, and still doesn't work.
Has anyone solved it? I'm considering returning the device to the store.

Thanks
Options
2014-07-20 02:47:43
Enter DNS addresses in DHCP main router.
Options
2014-08-04 09:06:06
I had the same problem with Android devices connecting to tp link wifi range extender. Because there was no clear answer to multiple questions about this issue, I just want to say how it worked out for me. The crucial thing was (I think) to assign a STATIC IP to my tp link wireless range extender within the main router! I had to find out the MAC-address of my tp-link extender and manually assign a fixed (static) address to the device with this MAC-address in the main router. IThis is NOT related to the Static IP Mode of the tp-link extender - it should REMAIN in Smart Mode! And the last thing I did was to check the option "Translate DNS address" in the main router, but I am not sure it is absolutely necessary. Anyway, my android cellphone now works with this extender like a charm.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3081

Replies: 11

Related Articles