Problems loging into router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-07-15 01:24:13
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8961ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I recently purchased this router and has been working well so far, no drop outs and good speed.

But I have come across a problem where I cannot log into the router.

I have found the cause but cant find a solution.

I have connected 2 PC's, Phone and PS3 to the router. All works fine and can log into the router (192.168.1.1 in the browser) but whenever I connect my smart TV to the router I am then unable to log into the router it just stays connecting to 192.168.1.1 forever (not even username and password box appears).

Only way out of this is to reset the router. At times I even have to do a hard reset.

I have tried connect nothing but the smart tv which still causes the same problem.

At the moment I have all devices connected apart from the smart TV and can log in fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Options
7 Reply
Re:Problems loging into router
2013-07-15 16:05:44
Hi.
What is the model number of the Smart TV?
What is the security type of the wireless network? If you are using WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK security type and TKIP Encryption, you can login the web page of the modem, go to Interface setup->wireless, and then change the encryption to AES for a try.
Options
2013-07-15 19:46:28
Hi

thanks for your reply.

Panasonic TX-L47FT60B 47" Smart VIERA LED TV (New TV from thier latest range).
Im using WPA2-PSK Security, Encryption is AES/TKIP on the router. The TV connects with AES (wireless N).

Update on situation

I updated the router to latest firmware even trying the new beta release, which didnt solve the problem.

Also the TV can access the internet fine it just freezes the router. Thats when im unable to log into the router, it just times out. It also prevents me from attaching new devices. But I can still access to the internet on the devices that are already connected.

Further investigation

I also connected sky wireless box to the router and noticed something strange, it said on the sky box that I have no internet access
(status page - ip address 0.0.0.0 - internet connection=fail etc) . BUT I CAN actually access the internet. I turned off DHCP on the sky box and gave it a static IP address, with that it continues to access the internet but now it says its connected to the router. problem solved there.

So with that idea in mind I then went into my smart TV and gave it a static IP address I can now access the internet fine on the TV and it does NOT crash my router anymore, great. But now the TV itself tells me I have no internet connection (even though it can connect to the internet) and it is continuously trying to connect TV the the router (even though its connected) making my TV feel laggy...

This is strange....something is not right with way this router deals with wireless devices.

going to play around with dhcp settings and maybe try manually adding tv's mac and ip in the router.

Any other suggestions guys?
Options
2013-07-16 15:11:41
Well, it is really strange.
When you connect the Smart TV to the modem wirelessly, if you do not set a static IP address on the TV and the modem freezes, can you still ping the LAN IP of the modem on the PC via wireless connection and wired connection?

"Also the TV can access the internet fine it just freezes the router. Thats when im unable to log into the router, it just times out. It also prevents me from attaching new devices. But I can still access to the internet on the devices that are already connected."
When you were trying to add new devices to the wireless network, could you see some error messages on the new devices?
Or the new devices were always trying to connect to the network? Would the network ask for a security key when the new devices were connecting?
Options
2013-07-16 22:33:07
Hi alisa,

Yes when my smart tv freezes the router I can still ping the router from my pc. Ping 192.168.1.1 -t I get continuous rely back with no request time outs. Also when the router freezes all other wireless devices that are already connected continue to work fine.

When the tv freezes my router and I then try to add a new device for example my ps3, I will go into network settings on ps3 scan for wireless network, it will pick up my router I will then enter the wifi password and will just say its connecting, after a LONG time it will just tell me there is no response from the router and ask me to check if the device is switched on.

I have tried these things so far -

I have tried firmware upgrade on TV and Router.
Factory reset on Router and TV.
Tried adding the TV to the router manually (mac and IP).
Tried different wireless connection types (G N B etc)
Disabled WMM
Changed security type. Even tried with no security at all.
Tried on 3 old routers I had lying around and the TV connects fine with them (but they are very old routers which are not adsl2 so it limits my d/l speed so cant use them).

Edit: I tried to telnet onto the router open cmd > telnet 192.168.1.1 after a minuet a says could not open connection to host on port 23. When I unplug the smart tv and restart router I can telnet onto router no prob but as soon as I try to connect the TV I get same message about port 23.

I dont understand why my smart TV and only the smart TV freezes this router when it connects to it...
I'm normally pretty good at solving problems like this....but Im Running out of ideas here
Options
2013-07-17 16:54:27
Hello, have you tried to only connect the smart TV to the TP-LINK router, then check whether the router will be freezing. If not, you can try to add the other wireless devices one by one, and record the phonomenon.
Hope this will be helpful to you to figure out this issue.
Options
2013-07-18 09:16:35
Yes I did try that, only connecting the TV crashes the router. I have in the mean time raised a ticket with tech support.

On another note does anyone know where I can find a full list of telnet commands for this router? and is there any third party firmware I could try?
Options
2013-07-24 14:03:42
I know TP-LINK have published a beta firmware for TD-W8961ND_V3, you may have a try, but I can't guarantee that it can solve your problem. Link below:
http://www.tp-link.com/resources/software/TD-W8961ND_v3_Beta_130705.zip

Incognito wrote

Yes I did try that, only connecting the TV crashes the router. I have in the mean time raised a ticket with tech support.

On another note does anyone know where I can find a full list of telnet commands for this router? and is there any third party firmware I could try?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 446

Replies: 7