Starting in access point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-28 19:03:06
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

When I set up an X60 mesh for the first time I just wanted the Deco devices to work in access point mode. But in order to do so I had to disconnect my main router connect the Deco and set up the main one as if it were a router and only then switch to access point mode. If not I could not really get it to speak to the cloud/app and couldn't do anything with it.

I will soon need to do another similar setup only this time in a house where it's considerably more complicated to take the router offline and connect the Deco to the modem directly (maybe even impossible). 

I am wondering if there is a more elegant workaround which I've missed to start the Deco in AP mode instead of Router to begin with.

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Starting in access point mode
2021-09-28 19:35:09

@Nullius 

I am not sure where your problems come from.

This is how I set up my Deco mesh in Access Point mode:

Downloaded TP-Link deco app on my smartphone and created an account

Unpacked first Deco unit, connected it by Ethernet cable to whatever available Ethernet port I had on my home network

Powered Deco unit on

Added Deco unit to Deco mesh, in Deco app. It became Main Deco

Upgraded Main Deco to latest firmware available in Deco app

Opened Deco app configuration settings and changed Operating Mode to Access Point

Added remaining Deco units to Deco mesh

Options
2021-09-28 20:45:21
I actually tried that. When I connected the first Deco to the existing network it errored out (blinked red I think?). My guess was that it was validating stuff, like the fact that there is already a DHCP server on that network or the fact that it could not pull an IP from the "modem" (no idea why should that be any different from pulling an upstream IP from the router for the local LAN. Long story short that didn't work for me. Maybe I did something wrong there. You saying you didn't need to change anything on your existing network for this procedure to work?
Options
2021-09-29 00:32:28 - last edited 2021-09-29 00:40:01

@Nullius 

I did not change anything on my network to set up Deco, that is true. There must have been something with main router you had, either preventing Deco from obtaining IP address or filtering its Internet communications.

I built my home network to be very simple. My ISP router is DNS/DHCP server for the network. I do not run separate DNS/DHCP server(s). My ISP router has simple configuration: no content filtering, no whitelist/blacklist, no antivirus, no ads blocker of any sort, nothing like that. It has few reserved IP addresses for servers and networking printer, but other than that any new device connected to ISP router will get an IP address assigned to it randomly and can have an unrestricted Internet access.

I used to configure WiFi routers for friends and for myself, and I did the same with each new WiFi router I've got: plug it to my home network wherever I have available Ethernet cable or port, let it obtain IP address from my ISP router, configure, then take to its permanent place. Never had an issue, did not expect to have it with Deco, and did not have it.

I suggest you start simple at that house: just connect first Deco to Ethernet and try configuring it. You do not even have to connect it directly to ISP router Ethernet port. I "borrowed" Ethernet cable connected to my Smart TV, and plugged Deco to it. If you do that at someone's place, that ensures you'll have Ethernet connection which is proven to work. 

My ISP router, for example, has an option to turn on/off each of its four Ethernet ports. I never use this feature, but if I ever decided to turn off unused ports, and forgot about it later, connecting Deco to such disabled Ethernet port would not have worked.

Options
2021-09-29 19:33:07

@Alexandre. 

Gotcha! I will try it again.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Appreciated!

Options