Passthrough Powerline Kit Slow Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-08 14:22:45 - last edited 2021-10-13 06:45:24
Model: TL-PA8010P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi,

So i'm fairly new to using powerline adaptors so bear with me!

I have an issue with a new kit that i have bought, the model is stated above.  I have set the starter kit up and paired them successfully however i am only getting around 100Mbps down and my upload is around 90Mbps which is alot closer to it's usual speed.  If i plug my desktop directly into the router with an ethernet cable then i get the speed i should do which is around 900Mbps (currently on BT fibre 900) so i know the router/line is functioning correctly.  So i'm not sure what is so drastically cutting the speed?

I previously used the TL-PA4010 AV600 kit and was getting the expected speeds with that.  My house is only 3 years old so the wiring is new.  The only thing i could think of is that when i had BT installed, the router was placed by the front door not the back as i had previously with sky.  So the adaptor plugged into the router is in another plug socket, however i didn't think this would matter too much considering they will be on the same circuit.

Any help or suggestions that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Passthrough Powerline Kit Slow Speeds-Solution
2021-10-09 03:20:30 - last edited 2021-10-13 06:45:24

Hello@Rossco06 ,

1. If speed is capped around 100Mbps, please ensure the  2 * Ethernet cables are cat5e or above and should support 1000Mbps.

Router<Ethernet cable #1>PA8010P _____PA8010P<Ethernet cable#2> PC

2. Check the wired link speed on PC: the link speed should be 1 Gigabit, if not, replace cable #2 with a new cable. Also make sure the network adapter is a Gigabit adapter on PC. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2899/

If still the same,  please download tpPLC Utility on tp-link website and check what is the Powerline rate between the powerline units? 

In the actual household environment, real speed test could be 20% to 35% of the Powerline rate and also capped by ISP bandwidth or router speed. Here is a related FAQ explaining the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters: 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2928/

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Passthrough Powerline Kit Slow Speeds-Solution
2021-10-09 03:20:30 - last edited 2021-10-13 06:45:24

Hello@Rossco06 ,

1. If speed is capped around 100Mbps, please ensure the  2 * Ethernet cables are cat5e or above and should support 1000Mbps.

Router<Ethernet cable #1>PA8010P _____PA8010P<Ethernet cable#2> PC

2. Check the wired link speed on PC: the link speed should be 1 Gigabit, if not, replace cable #2 with a new cable. Also make sure the network adapter is a Gigabit adapter on PC. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2899/

If still the same,  please download tpPLC Utility on tp-link website and check what is the Powerline rate between the powerline units? 

In the actual household environment, real speed test could be 20% to 35% of the Powerline rate and also capped by ISP bandwidth or router speed. Here is a related FAQ explaining the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters: 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2928/

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Passthrough Powerline Kit Slow Speeds
2021-10-09 16:26:31
@Solla-topee Thanks for reply! I have tried everything you have suggested. The wired link speed is 1Gbps. My computer definitely has a gigabit ethernet port. I have installed the utility app and it is giving me a powerline rating of 427Mbps between devices. Does this sound right for the speeds i'm getting? Not sure what else to try, iIm not being limited by my ISP because I get the speeds I want with a straight wired connection to the router. Is there anything else I can try or is this the best I can hope for in this situation? Many thanks
Options
Re:Passthrough Powerline Kit Slow Speeds
2021-10-11 08:58:22 - last edited 2021-10-11 08:59:31

Hello, @Rossco06  If power line rate  on the utility is 427Mbps, actual speed 90Mbps seems to be reasonable , or that could be speed that powerline unit get. Real world peed through power line is not as fast as Ethernet/ wired connection, the power line environment or distance will also affect the speed a lot.  You could try a different wall outlet for the extender unit and main unit and see if that makes any difference. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1428

Replies: 3

Related Articles