Archer C6 get rebooted when connected to VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-13 09:50:08
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 20210513 rel.63256(5553)

Hi,

Whenever I connect to my company's VPN my router gets restarted within 2-3 min. What will be the issue?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C6 get rebooted when connected to VPN
2021-10-14 01:52:54

@dpkrwt 

Can I have the detailed network topology/diagram? How do you connect Archer C6 to the network? Any special settings on the C6 itself?

What kind of VPN server you are trying to connect to?

Does the device connect to the 5G or 2.4G network when you are trying to connect to the VPN server? How did the connection recover when the C6 restarted?

Check the below thread to see if changing the MTU size on the C6 will help:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/257354

Options
2021-10-14 13:30:17 - last edited 2021-10-14 13:30:54

@Kevin_Z 

My network setup is something like this:

Fiber from ISP ----> ONU provided by ISP -----> Archer C6

I have contacted your technical team regarding this and they did some changes for the internet settings like MTU value and DNS values as below, but it didn't worked

Router gets restart for both the bands i.e. 2.4G and 5G, although for 2.4G the restart happens after 1hr and for 5G it happens after 3-4 mins. After router restart my devices get connected to it automatically.

I didn't get your question What kind of VPN server you are trying to connect to?

Options
2021-10-15 03:43:39

@dpkrwt 

"I didn't get your question What kind of VPN server you are trying to connect to?"

Sorry, I mean how did you connect to your company's VPN, what kind of software or application you are using on the devices that connect that VPN.

Regarding the restart issue, I'm actually confused by the description: "Router gets restart for both the bands i.e. 2.4G and 5G, although for 2.4G the restart happens after 1hr and for 5G it happens after 3-4 mins."  If the router restarts, I think both the 2.4G and 5G will both be unavailable temporarily at the same time, but not one restart before the other. Will it be possible that you send us a video about the router restarts when you are connecting to the company's VPN? We can confirm.

BTW, who is your ISP?

Options
2021-10-15 08:10:31

@Kevin_Z 

I'm using macbook's VPN software to connect to my company's VPN.

"Router gets restart for both the bands i.e. 2.4G and 5G, although for 2.4G the restart happens after 1hr and for 5G it happens after 3-4 mins." 

By this I mean, when I connect my mackbook with 2.4G and then connect to my comany's VPN then the router gets restarted after 1hr and if I connect with 5G and then connect to VPN then router gets restarted in 3-4 mins.

My ISP is Excitel.

Options
2021-10-15 09:50:56

@dpkrwt 

I see. Can we confirm again how does the auto-restart behave? Do all LEDs on the Archer C6 blink off then on in minutes? During this time, no devices can detect a connection from the router? If possible, we would like to have a video showing this restart issue, then our engineers will try to analyze it.

BTW, what's the WAN connection type on the Archer C6? Dynamic IP or PPPoE? If you don't connect to the VPN, the Archer C6 behaves and runs properly, right?

Options
2021-10-16 08:25:30

@Kevin_Z 

Do all LEDs on the Archer C6 blink off then on in minutes?

Yes

During this time, no devices can detect a connection from the router? 

Yes, all the devices get disconnect from the router.

My WAN connection type is PPPoE.

Yes if I don't connect to the VPN Archer C6 is working fine.

For your reference please find the video link here.

Options
2021-10-18 02:49:43

@dpkrwt 

Thank you very much for all the details. The tech support engineer was made aware of this issue, they will likely to contact you via email to check this out, please check your email and follow it up with them.

Options
2021-10-18 07:32:10

@Kevin_Z 

Sure, Thanks yes

Options