Connecting SumUp card reader to MR400 mobile router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-15 17:52:35 - last edited 2021-10-22 11:54:46
Model: Archer MR400  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

I have just purchased an Archer MR400 MiFi router and need to use it to allow a SumUp Solo card reader to be used in an area with no WiFi signal. 
The router seems to be working well when connected to my iPad.  I can select the router from the WiFi connection screen of the SumUp card reader but when I try to make a credit card transaction the card reader fails to process the payment, and gives an error message: 'Error: could not connect to the server'.  (Note:  if I connect the card reader to my home WiFi there is no problem and the payment is processed normally.) 

I think there may be a lack of security in the router set up that is causing this problem.  Can I improve the security? Perhaps this will overcome this problem? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting SumUp card reader to MR400 mobile router-Solution
2021-10-20 19:47:48 - last edited 2021-10-22 11:54:46
Thank you for your reply. I couldn’t do the test that you requested because my smart phone will not allow personal hotspot to function when connected to my home WiFi. Today I took the router and card reader to the room where they will be used. Note that this room has no other WiFi signals. When I connected the SumUp card reader to the MR400 router, I found I could make a card transaction successfully, so it seems my problem only occurs at home (with other WiFi signals available). As a result of this discovery today, it seems there is no problem with the card reader when the MR400 router is used in a room with no other WiFi signals.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Connecting SumUp card reader to MR400 mobile router
2021-10-18 07:51:15

@JohnW01 

Hi, could you please help me run the following test:

1. put the sim card into your smartphone.

2. enable the mobile hotspot of the phone.

3. connect the SumUp Solo card reader to the mobile hotspot and check whether you could make any payment.

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Connecting SumUp card reader to MR400 mobile router-Solution
2021-10-20 19:47:48 - last edited 2021-10-22 11:54:46
Thank you for your reply. I couldn’t do the test that you requested because my smart phone will not allow personal hotspot to function when connected to my home WiFi. Today I took the router and card reader to the room where they will be used. Note that this room has no other WiFi signals. When I connected the SumUp card reader to the MR400 router, I found I could make a card transaction successfully, so it seems my problem only occurs at home (with other WiFi signals available). As a result of this discovery today, it seems there is no problem with the card reader when the MR400 router is used in a room with no other WiFi signals.
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-22 11:56:52

@JohnW01 

Thank you for the feedback.

It is quite unexpected and I have no idea why MR400 would behave like that.

Just curious, if the home router is turned off for a while, are you able to make any transaction?

Options
2021-10-22 12:31:11

@TP-Link Thanks - I think the problem is most likely with the card reader and not the MR-400.  Other devices connect to the MR-400 with out any problem.  I guess the card reader has advanced security features that are causing the problem.  I'll do the test you suggest for interest - later on. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 977

Replies: 4

Related Articles