Adjust the MTU setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Adjust the MTU setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Adjust the MTU setting
Adjust the MTU setting
2021-10-20 05:00:07 - last edited 2023-01-03 10:31:01
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel 74289

In order to use pppoe connection with my ISP, I need to change the mtu settings. 

I understand that currently this is not possible, and that this is preset. 

Could this be made possible in a future firmware update? 

Please, and thank you 

Ian

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Adjust the MTU setting -Solution
2022-03-23 10:37:12 - last edited 2023-01-03 10:31:01

Hi, @Ihenders  and all.

Update:

Hi, there is already a plan to support  changing MTU on Deco and you could vote to add more support:MTU size settings

And The latest firmware for Deco X50/Deco X55 starts supporting customizing MTU size.

Early Release VPN/Static Route/MTU Firmware for Deco X50/X55

For other models, It might still need some time.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Adjust the MTU setting
2022-03-21 14:17:48
Did you ever get an answer on this? Sorta in the same boat and I probably return the X60 if they don't add this. I need a setting of 1420 on the MTU to get an optimized connection.
Options
2022-03-23 06:56:43

@SaintMAW 

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Currently, this feature request has not been accepted yet.

Have you experienced any performance issues if the default MTU of Deco is 1500?

Currently, there is a workaround to change the MTU size on Deco, and please have a check of the private message.

Options
2022-03-23 07:02:11

@David-TP 
I don't have any performance issues, it's just impossible to connect the Deco directly to my ISP, so I need to use another router for that.

I have checked, and do not have a private message related to any work around.

Thanks

Ian

Options
Re:Adjust the MTU setting -Solution
2022-03-23 10:37:12 - last edited 2023-01-03 10:31:01

Hi, @Ihenders  and all.

Update:

Hi, there is already a plan to support  changing MTU on Deco and you could vote to add more support:MTU size settings

And The latest firmware for Deco X50/Deco X55 starts supporting customizing MTU size.

Early Release VPN/Static Route/MTU Firmware for Deco X50/X55

For other models, It might still need some time.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-05-02 15:01:31

@David-TP I am also experiencing the same issue, my ISP also requires me to set a MTU, and my connection is very unreliable if I don't set it. You mention there is a workaround to this issue - would you mind sharing this for others with the same issue?

Options
2022-05-03 05:33:17

The work - around was a manual adjustment to the device through a remote session - but this is not something I would like to do, as I am then locked in on that MTU setting until manually adjusted again if needed.

@David-TP - is there no way you can release an update where we can adjust this setting ourselves?

Options
2022-05-03 07:35:23

@Ihenders SamTolmay

Hi, you are right and currently, it is not supported to adjust the MTU manually on Deco and if necessary, the engineer could help us change the MTU.

I used to check with the engineers there are rare cases that the MTU size-1500 would interfere with the network performance.

So If you would like to spend a little time with us, I hope you can email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following details:

1. What happened to Deco if the MTU size is set to 1500? Have you ever experienced any issue?

2. May I know who is your internet service provider?

If it is confirmed to be related to MTU later, I am sure the engineers could provide us an appropriate solution.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-05-03 09:53:07

@David-TP 

Thanks David - I will email as requested, but to confirm here to, I am not able to connect my deco directly to my ISP unless I adjust the MTU.

I am not sure of their reasons, except that I cannot connect on 1500, and have been requested to use a different setting.

I am using an ISP called RocketNet - wasn't able to post the url here, but it is available on the co.za domain

Options
2022-05-03 12:14:13

Thanks @David-TP , I have send a mail.

The issue is definitely related to the MTU, I was specifically request by my ISP to set the MTU. I am using another router to connect with PPPoE and set the MTU, and using the Deco system as an access point, which resolves all the connection issues.

I am also with RocketNet as ISP, same as Ihenders

Options
2022-05-05 14:22:43

@SamTolmay Ihenders

Thank you very much for your emailslaugh.

yes, you two are on the same ISP with PPPoE connnection.

But I noticed there are a little differences about your descrption.

I see SamTolmay mentioned it was not related to the internet configuration, sounds more like we could still get internet from Deco but some APPs/websites/programs are not accessible without correct MTU 1462.

While Ihenders seemed to say without changing MTU, Deco could not even get internet service from ISP.

I also replied emaill to ask for more details and please have a check of the email.

Later the case will also be forwarded to the senior engineers for further assitance.

Thank you again.

best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3333

Replies: 12

Related Articles