Archer MR200 AC750 / GiffGaff AND Three / Very low and inconsistent download with double the upload.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer MR200 AC750 / GiffGaff AND Three / Very low and inconsistent download with double the upload.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-26 10:56:25
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 0.9.1

"Firmware Version:‪1.2.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210120 Rel.67320n "

Archer MR200 / AC750 

GiffGaff Unlimited (Previous used) 

Switched to Three (Currently Used)

Both with unlimited data @ £35 a month.

Speeds are highly inconsistent, One minute could be 15 MBPS next 0.5 MBPS.

Upload always higher than D/L (Which shouldn't happen)

Here's a speedtest from today - https://www.speedtest.net/result/12238861878   (Nothing open except the webpage - 10 MBPS DL - 17 Upload) 

This can drop heavily randomly (With no other conenctions, Could be playing a game or watching a video and boom buffering for 10 minutes or 500+ MS) 

GiffGaff has the same issue but worse, Quit GiffGaff and went to Three and the same issues persist. 

Checking all angles, is there settings within my router that could be causing this? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer MR200 AC750 / GiffGaff AND Three / Very low and inconsistent download with double the upload.
2021-10-27 09:53:40

@Stylerr 

Hi, did you have this issue on both wireless clients and wired clients?

Will the issue continue If inserting the SIM into a smartphone?

In case It is because of the changing LTE bands, please install the following beta firmware to fix the LED bands:

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/beta/2021/202110/20211015/ArcherMR200(EU)_V5_211015.zip

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Archer MR200 AC750 / GiffGaff AND Three / Very low and inconsistent download with double the upload.
2021-11-04 16:49:36

@Stylerr 

Stylerr wrote

Upload always higher than D/L (Which shouldn't happen)

I've seen that happen when the router drops to 3G from 4G. The problem is the router has much lower quality radio hardware than the providers mast antenna. In poor signal conditions, reception at your router will fall back earlier and by more than the mast's reception does - even till upload>download. Dropping to 3G is a sign reception quality is poor.

But if you don't allow it to fall back to 3G, that won't help anyway!

Also: on 3UK at least, I used to manually switch down to 3G for sustained uploads because it was usually faster than 4G upload! Just not usually faster than the 3G download.

I believe the use of large antenna on TP-Link devices is part of the problem, they create signal loss in the cabling that connects them, which disproportionally affects reception. One reason mobile phones do so much better with their tiny internal antenna is the antenna are physically closer to the radio silicon which more than compensates. I've seen consistently better 3G/4G reception from phones that my MR600 or the Huawei router it replaced.

You need to either improve signal with external aerials or tether a phone instead.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 651

Replies: 2

Related Articles