Wi-fi delays interacting with IoT/Smart home devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-01 16:42:53
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

I've been having this issue for some time now. I've worked with my hardware providers across the board, and the common component is my Deco M9 plus wi-fi netwrok. Wondering if anyone else expereinces the same? Any recommendations on how to repair this issue? 

I have a few IoT devices connected to my network. Harmony hub remote, Wemo hub/LED lights, Honeywell thermostat, Ring doorbell & Sonos speakers as the primary examples and the devices I have the most issue with. 

I have a 15-20 second delay when issuing a command via the apps used to control these devices, inclusive of Alexa voice commands to these devices. Exactly what I see is the following: 

Harmony hub:

Issue command withe remote or the iPhone app (ie. power on)

It takes 15-20 seconds for the Harmony hub to receive the command

WeMo lights:

Issue command from iPhone app, or Alexa voice command

10-15 second delay before the light will respond, after the command has been issued

Sonos:

Send music to the speaker(s) via the app or Alexa voice control

10-15 seconds elapse before the speaker will begin to play

Honeywell t-stat:

Using the app to adjust the temp, turn fan on/off, turn unit heat/a/c on/off, edit schedule

10-15 second delay prior to these commands being recevied and executed by the device

Ring: 

Same issue. Somone rings the bell or sets of the motion sensor 

10-15 seconds before the bell goes off in the house or the app recognizes activity

Once these devices have been connected too, ie. Sonos, Harmony, Ring the delay goes away until the next time they are fired up. I've tried different devices in the home (iPads, Iphones, Galaxy tablets) nothing makes a difference. 

As I troubleshoot with the hardware manufacturrers, the lgs indicate the commands are sent when they are recevied by the app (or by the doorbell) but there is a delay in the other network devices in receiving the command by 10-20 seconds. 

All devices are connected to the TP Link Deco M9's via wifi. Both 2.4 & 5GHz are enabled, along with IPv4 & IPv6, DHCP & UPNP enabled. Fast roaming diabled and beam forming enabled. These are in wireless router mode, running the latest firmware 1.5.1

Network topology looks like this:

Fibre to the ISP router (DHCP is enabled for the connected TV boxes which is required) Wi-fi disabled (wired cable boxes) 

Main deco wired direct to ISP modem with Cat6

Cat6 to 1Gbps switch (devices connected include NAS, 2nd Deco)

2nd Deco 1Gbps backhaul to switch (connects locally to PC)

This has been my setup/configuration since initial deployment 3 years ago. Everything has worked well until January 2021.

I almost feel as though these devices are "offline" after some time of no activity on the Deco network. If I reboot these devices they respond instantly, after a few minutes they go cold/slow again... 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Wi-fi delays interacting with IoT/Smart home devices
2021-11-02 08:44:00

@TWPS 

Hi, I see that you have a reference number # TKID210411658 with the senior engineers.

It is suggested that you could update the ticket as well.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 310

Replies: 1