Openvpn error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Openvpn error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Openvpn error
Openvpn error
2021-11-20 11:10:17 - last edited 2021-11-21 21:34:37

Hello

Setting up a Openvpn server on a Archer MR600. Imported the configuration to Android app but get time out error when trying connect to the server. I've tried activate AES-CBC Cipher Algorithm but made no difference. The server is marked as enabled but under VPN->VPN Connections there is no OpenVPN connections. Probably something obvious I've missed but still I'm stucked and cant find out whats wrong...

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Openvpn error-Solution
2021-11-21 15:56:26 - last edited 2021-11-21 21:34:37

@PMS 

Could be due to the same issue that many other users are facing. -> Your MR600 is probably not getting a public IPv4 address assigned by your mobile network provider.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/509778 )

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Openvpn error-Solution
2021-11-21 15:56:26 - last edited 2021-11-21 21:34:37

@PMS 

Could be due to the same issue that many other users are facing. -> Your MR600 is probably not getting a public IPv4 address assigned by your mobile network provider.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/509778 )

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Openvpn error
2021-11-21 21:28:20

@woozle 

Thank you! It seems that's the problem and my IP is in the range described in the post you linked too.

I intend to use the router on a boat in southern Europe so I suppose I get another ISP then and have to wait and see if it will be the same.

Good to know what's wrong anyway!

Regards

Options
2021-11-21 21:39:30

@woozle 

Maybe a stupid question but from internet I can reach a EZVIZ camera behind the MR600: how does the app knows where to find it?...

Options
2021-11-21 23:34:42 - last edited 2021-11-21 23:37:02

@PMS 

I don't know about the EZVIZ camera in particular, but most of these cameras allow for two methods to access it.

The direct access method via the home router's Internet IP address (which also requires port forwarding on the home router) would not work if the router's Internet IP address is not a public IPv4 address.

Another method to access such cameras is via a server (usually run by the company that sells the camera) and a personal user account on that server to which the camera is registered to. The way it works is that usually both sides, the camera and the (for example) app on the phone frequently contact the server and exchange information. Let's say that motion detection alarm was setup on the camera and it detected a movement, then the camera would tell the server about it and next time the app on the phone contacted the server, the server would let the app know about the event. Same happens in the other direction, if you use the app to command the camera to do something.

Options
2021-11-22 06:40:41

@woozle 

Interesting! Seems preferable to use the direct connect method then (even if the server option obviously works well and is a easy solution). But why does mobile ISPs don't use public IPv4 addresses? Are there commercial or technical reasons behind?

Regards

Options
2021-11-22 19:18:10 - last edited 2021-11-22 19:21:02

PMS wrote

@woozle 

... Are there commercial or technical reasons behind?

@PMS 

It's a combination of both.

IPv4 addresses span a range from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255. This format results in about 4.2 billion unique IP addresses (of which not even all are available for use as public IP addresses), while the world's population has almost reached 8 billion by now. So there isn't even one unique IPv4 address available for every person on earth.

However, there are usually ways for those who need a public IP address to get one. But it may require paying additional money or switching one's ISP altogether.

There has been a solution for the shortage of available IP addresses in the works for some time already, in the form of IPv6, but adoption of IPv6 has been slow.

Options
2021-11-22 20:03:55

@woozle 

Thank you for your help and information, much appreciated!

I'll contact the ISP if I still not get a public IPv4 address at the boat.

Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 704

Replies: 7

Related Articles