TL-WR902AC Won't Connect to Hotel Wi-Fi

2021-11-22 07:25:44 - last edited 2022-07-22 08:58:27
This Article Applies to:
TL-WR902AC
TL-WR802N

Issue Description/Phenomenon:
Most hotels that provide open portal networks may require users to pass the portal authentication before surfing the internet, there should be no issue connecting to the internet when adding a wireless router to it as long as the authentication popup window shows up. If your travel router (TL-WR902AC/TL-WR802N) fails to connect to an open portal Wi-Fi/Hotel Wi-Fi, go through the following troubleshooting suggestions.

Available Solutions:

Case 1 Failed to connect the TL-WR902AC to an open portal Wi-Fi via 5G

If the portal Wi-Fi is 5G, be sure you have updated the TL-WR902AC firmware to the latest, or install the following beta firmware on it, then confirm:
TL-WR902AC(US)_V3_0.9.1 Build 220329 (official)
TL-WR902AC(EU)_V3_220120 (beta)
Note: Please be sure you have read The Beta Test Agreement before proceeding!

Case 2 Failed to connect the TL-WR902AC/TL-WR802N to an open portal Wi-Fi via 2.4G

1. If the portal Wi-Fi is 2.4G, verify first if your phone/laptop connects to that open portal Wi-Fi directly and access the internet. If yes, will you see an authentication login page or popup window? Take and post a screenshot to the community.

Here is the guide to configure the WR902AC as the Share Hotspot mode.

2. If the authentication login page doesn't show up when connecting the TL-WR902AC/TL-WR802N to the open portal Wi-Fi network, connect a laptop that can work with the portal Wi-Fi directly to the travel router's Wi-Fi network, then log in to the web UI of the router, go to Network > MAC Clone page to clone the laptop's MAC address to the router. Be sure that we here are cloning the MAC address of the wireless card of the laptop, but not the Ethernet one.

3. If the above is not working, try the following steps:

Step 1 Connect to the open portal Wi-Fi directly from a phone and authenticate with the login account on the authentication login page.

Step 2 On the phone Settings > Wi-Fi page, click on the connected Wi-Fi name, write down the MAC Address (iPhone says Wi-Fi Address), IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway (iPhone says Router), and DNS Server.

Step 3 Configure TL-WR902AC/TL-WR802N in the hotspot router mode, and then re-login to the web UI of the router.

Step 4 In the Network > WAN page, change the connection type to Static IP, then enter in IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway/Router, DNS Server from Step 2 and click save.

Step 5 In the Network > MAC Clone, type the MAC Address from Step 2 manually, click on Save.

Step 6 Go to System Tools > Reboot, click on the Reboot button to reboot the router.

Step 7 After those changes, connect your phone/laptop to the travel router and check if you will see the authentication login page when trying to access the internet. If yes, login to the authentication page with your log-in account, and the internet should be working fine.

Let the community know how it works.
Options
19 Reply
Re:TL-WR902AC Won't Connect to Hotel Wi-Fi
2022-02-16 17:30:44

@Kevin_Z 

Based on my recent experience, xfinitywifi connects (at least in my area) at 5GHz.

So the WAN connection is made at 5GHz.

Then on the LAN side, if you connect to the SSID for 2.4 GHz, you DO NOT get the authentication screen.

The solution is to use the SSID for 5 GHz, where you DO trigger authentication screen is as expected.

Subsequently, lower band devices proceed to connect to the lower band, without additional problems.

Options
2022-02-17 07:22:35

Brad_BB wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Based on my recent experience, xfinitywifi connects (at least in my area) at 5GHz.

So the WAN connection is made at 5GHz.

Then on the LAN side, if you connect to the SSID for 2.4 GHz, you DO NOT get the authentication screen.

The solution is to use the SSID for 5 GHz, where you DO trigger authentication screen is as expected.

Subsequently, lower band devices proceed to connect to the lower band, without additional problems.

Hello @Brad_BB, does it mean if you try to connect to the 2.4G network of the WR902AC after configuring it to connect to the Xfinity 5GHz wifi successfully, the client device doesn't proceed to open the authentication page, you need to connect a device to the 5GHz network of the WR902AC first, then the 2.4GHz client will connect to the internet fine? We haven't received this kind of feedback yet, we will keep an eye on this and push the engineers to analyze it further.

Options
2022-02-17 11:18:23

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, I think so.  At least that was my experience.

I have not attempted to repeat the reconnection, so you should try to corroborate my anecdote independently, and establish if that is systematic.

Options
2022-02-18 07:49:48

Brad_BB wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, I think so.  At least that was my experience.

I have not attempted to repeat the reconnection, so you should try to corroborate my anecdote independently, and establish if that is systematic.

Sure, we will do. Thank you.  @Brad_BB 

Options
2022-03-31 05:03:54

@Kevin_Z Thank you. The Beta firmware (US) has fixed the "xfinitywifi" connection.

Before Beta firmware:  xfinitywifi was in list, but connecting never launched the captive portal

After Beta firmware:  xfinitywifi was in list, and connecting launched the captive portal (properly)

Will you make the 'Beta' version final?

-rp

Options
2022-03-31 05:44:51

rpertusio wrote

@Kevin_Z Thank you. The Beta firmware (US) has fixed the "xfinitywifi" connection.

Before Beta firmware:  xfinitywifi was in list, but connecting never launched the captive portal

After Beta firmware:  xfinitywifi was in list, and connecting launched the captive portal (properly)

Will you make the 'Beta' version final?

-rp

@rpertusio Yes, this would be included in the future official firmware releases, you may keep an eye on the website for any updates.

Options
2022-04-11 22:46:03

@Kevin_Z  I followed the guide for hotel wifi but the router ui is not opening the sign in verification for Xfinity wifi. Any help?

Options
2022-04-13 12:04:04

@Wkheston 

Is the Xfinity wifi a 2.4G or 5G network? Can you connect to it on your phone or laptop directly?

What is the firmware version of your WR902AC? Please check my original post in the thread to check if you can install the beta firmware on it, then check again if it can connect.

Options
2022-04-15 22:47:36 - last edited 2022-04-15 22:48:18

@Kevin_Z 

I too am not able to connect my new TL-WR902AC to an xfinitywifi 5Ghz hotspot.  I've installed the beta firmware and cloned my MAC when the beta firmware didn't work.  The beta firmware doesn't seem to log events so I'm flying blind there.  I can see that the device is not getting an IP address from the xfinitywifi hotspot which probably explains why the hotspot logon page doesn't display.  With the production firmware I could see no_offers_received errors in the log when trying to get an IP address.

My laptop will connect just fine from the same location that I have the TL-WR902AC so I know that the xfinitywifi hotspot is functioning.  

Is there anything else I can try to get this connected?  I'm trying to bridge the signal so it reaches into the house where I can sit and work.  Without the bridge it gets too weak to reach where I sit and work.

Thanks

Options
2022-04-18 16:08:22

MarkB432 wrote

@Kevin_Z 

I too am not able to connect my new TL-WR902AC to an xfinitywifi 5Ghz hotspot.  I've installed the beta firmware and cloned my MAC when the beta firmware didn't work.  The beta firmware doesn't seem to log events so I'm flying blind there.  I can see that the device is not getting an IP address from the xfinitywifi hotspot which probably explains why the hotspot logon page doesn't display.  With the production firmware I could see no_offers_received errors in the log when trying to get an IP address.

My laptop will connect just fine from the same location that I have the TL-WR902AC so I know that the xfinitywifi hotspot is functioning.  

Is there anything else I can try to get this connected?  I'm trying to bridge the signal so it reaches into the house where I can sit and work.  Without the bridge it gets too weak to reach where I sit and work.

Thanks

@MarkB432 

Updating myself here....  I have been able to getthings to work if I use the static IP, mask, DNS but do NOT clone the MAC,  If I clone the MAC I will not get internet.  Yes it is working but I suspect it is very fragile but at least now I can work from my moms home and be there to help her when she gets out of the hospital.  I just wish the "workaround" didn't leave me wondering when this will break.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 18203

Replies: 19