Archer MR600 WAN port question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-22 14:41:48 - last edited 2021-11-22 14:42:53

Probably asking for the impossible but here goes.

Current home network is being served by an ASUS RT-N66U  which in turn is connected to a VM superhub in modem mode.

Wanting to get rid of VM and go for a MIFI based (cheaper payments) I bought the Archer MR600 V2 which works fine and gives me

around 45Mb on 3.

When I connect the MR600 WAN port to the WAN port on the ASUS, instead of getting the 'real' WAN IP I get a DHCP IP in the 192.168 range?

The VM superhub gives me the correct 83.x.x.x WAN IP.

I need the WAN IP on the router as I have various VPN's and DDNS entries within my home network.

Any thoughts please or do I give up and continue with the VM setup?

I had assumes that if the MR600 had a port marked WA then it would have given me the WAN ip to the ASUS?

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer MR600 WAN port question
2021-11-23 02:38:15

@LenCuff 

Hi, Archer MR600 is a 3G/4G modem router, not just a modem so that it has a NAT feature that could change the public WAN IP to a private LAN IP range.

The WAN/LAN is reserved when MR600 works as a wireless router and the WAN port needs to be connected to ISP cable/fiber modem.

So if you want to keep a public IP, you might need to keep a VM setup.

or if the SIM carrier assigned Archer MR600 a public IP address, you might consider using Archer MR600 only.

Thank you very much. 

Options
Re:Archer MR600 WAN port question
2021-11-23 14:27:28

@TP-Link 

Thanks, the MR600 does get a public IP assigned but that isn't passed to the WAN port whereas the VM hub does

pass its public IP on its WAN port.

I did try setting up the NAT server routes but still couldn't get to anything inside my home network - VPNs etc so looks like

it's back to the VM setup

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1103

Replies: 2

Related Articles