Powerline True Mesh Wifi Options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-27 11:05:14 - last edited 2021-12-07 12:17:34

I'm looking for some advice. A relative of mine has moved in to a house where the standard broadband wifi router just doesn't work everywhere. In the past I have used TL-WPA7510 to get above 100MB wifi speeds. But in this situation I can't really use that because I don' want to have multple SSID's or have devices on the same SSID because in the past when I tried that the devices that connect seem to not seamlessly switch between strongest AP and sometimes stay connected to the weak signal AP. Instead I am looking for some sort of true mesh wifi network. I tried out the Amazon Eero pro but it's very disappointing. The wifi speeds drop dramitcally and I literally have to put loads of devices because it has to be able to talk to each other.

So instead of each device having to talk to the other over wifi, i'm looking for maybe a system like the tp-link powerlines that each device can talk to the network via powerline technology, meaning the devices don't have to be nearby. But what I am after is something that will allow me to have a single SSID for the entire house and my devices can smoothly switch to the strongest AP. Can anyone recommend any TP-Link system that may work in this way? I need something that can provide wifi speeds upto 300 to 400MBs

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Powerline True Mesh Wifi Options-Solution
2021-11-30 13:26:30 - last edited 2021-12-07 12:17:34

Hello @john2k 

1.  For better speed, it is recommended to consider Deco mesh system and build an Ethernet connection, wired connection is normally the most fast connection.

Deco Ethernet Backhaul feature and Topology

TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?

2. If you prefer to use Powerline kit, to build a mesh between Powerline devices and router requires a OneMesh- compatible router and OneMesh-compatible powerline kit.

That means you need to replace current router, and real speed is hard to be guaranteed,as that  depends on how much powerline rate it could get in the house powerline,  you may consider AV1300 or AV2000 for better speed. 

https://www.tp-link.com/onemesh/product-list/
How to configure OneMesh with seamless roaming (Powerline Extender)

By the way, mesh system only recommend devices like laptops or mobile phone for to roam/ change to a different AP, the final roaming decision is still made by device itself, e.g signal strength is weak enough to meet is roaming threadhold and device will roam, so device may not always roam to the strongest AP. 

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Powerline True Mesh Wifi Options-Solution
2021-11-30 13:26:30 - last edited 2021-12-07 12:17:34

Hello @john2k 

1.  For better speed, it is recommended to consider Deco mesh system and build an Ethernet connection, wired connection is normally the most fast connection.

Deco Ethernet Backhaul feature and Topology

TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?

2. If you prefer to use Powerline kit, to build a mesh between Powerline devices and router requires a OneMesh- compatible router and OneMesh-compatible powerline kit.

That means you need to replace current router, and real speed is hard to be guaranteed,as that  depends on how much powerline rate it could get in the house powerline,  you may consider AV1300 or AV2000 for better speed. 

https://www.tp-link.com/onemesh/product-list/
How to configure OneMesh with seamless roaming (Powerline Extender)

By the way, mesh system only recommend devices like laptops or mobile phone for to roam/ change to a different AP, the final roaming decision is still made by device itself, e.g signal strength is weak enough to meet is roaming threadhold and device will roam, so device may not always roam to the strongest AP. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 346

Replies: 1