AX55 - Can't connect to 5ghz network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-29 00:56:34
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20210926 rel.33340(5553)

I just bought an Archer AX55, and I disabled Smart Connect because I want all of my computers on the 5ghz network. I have the 2.4ghz network enabled for some older appliances that only support 2.4ghz. However, none of my computers or phones are able to connect to the 5ghz network - they can connect to the 2.4ghz just fine.

Update: I tried changing the 5ghz wireless channel in the router settings to channel 36, and my devices can connect to 5ghz now. But they can't connect when the channel is set to "Auto"?

Options
6 Reply
Re:AX55 - Can't connect to 5ghz network
2021-11-29 14:00:15

@wiivile 

When the wireless channels is set to Auto most probably the router is setting a DFS channel that your devices don't support, hence can't see the 5GHz network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-29 14:20:35
Thanks. You're probably right, though to clarify, my devices can see the 5ghz network, it just says "Can't join this network" after I enter the password. How can I tell whether my devices support the DFS channels?
Options
2021-11-29 20:42:49 - last edited 2021-12-01 12:44:12

@wiivile 

You can confirm if the DFS channels causing this issue making the following changes.

Set the wirelkess channel back to Auto and then observe which wirelss chanel router is using on 5GHz band:

Now you can check if the message "Can't join this network" appears when/if a DFS wireless channel has been used.

Usually which frequencies are used has been noted in technical specifications of your devices or wireless network adapters:

If the current channel when on "Auto" is not a DFS channel then follow this FAQ (second section) suggestions for troubleshooting.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-29 23:24:50

If I may add something.

In case your AX55 is the "EU" version, then depending on which DFS channels are used there may be a mandatory 10 minute waiting period (scan for radar signals) during which the 5 GHz Wi-Fi is not available for connection. This 10 minute period might start from zero again if a setting that is related to the 5 GHz Wi-Fi is modified.

This is something you want to keep in mind when testing different DFS channels.

Options
2021-11-30 01:28:33 - last edited 2021-11-30 01:32:54

Actually, it doesn't look like it's setting a DFS channel at all on Auto mode:

Auto (Current: 161)

161 isn't a DFS channel.

Still can't connect to the 5ghz channel on Auto mode, but can connect fine when setting the channel manually (I chose 36 because it seems the least crowded).

Also, I am in the U.S.

Options
2021-12-01 08:47:48

Thank you both terziyski and woozle for sharing your opinions and suggestions on the 5G signal issue @wiivile reported. We have also reported it to the support engineers, we can wait and see if they have some more suggestions.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options