No internet connection when powerline extender is plugged in

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-13 19:36:05
Model: TL-PA4010  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Don’t Know

First of all, apologies. There's every chance this question has been answered in previous threads but unfortunately im not network savvy enough to decipher what I need to do to get my powerline extender working.

For the past year I've had sky internet with a router in the corridor of the apartment. The majority of devices are connected via WiFi but two computers use Ethernet connection. I use a powerline extender to bridge the gap between the corridor and the room the computers are in. 

All worked fine until one day I came home from work to find that none of my devices (either wired or WiFi) had an internet connection and my router was undiscoverable on any WiFi device. After much deliberation and even a new router from Sky, I discovered that the WiFi works fine as long as the powerline extender isn't plugged in to the router. The internet is also fine if I run an Ethernet cable directly from the router to the computers which is what I've had to do for the past few days. As soon as I plug the powerline extender back in to the router, every connection in the apartment drops.

As mentioned, I've seen a few threads relating to this but can anyone walk me through a step by step of how to get the powerline extender working again?

Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:No internet connection when powerline extender is plugged in
2021-12-17 13:28:03

Hello @shizzle1987 

-  For 'my router was undiscoverable on any WiFi device' this sounds a hardware fault on your old router/Wi-Fi is off on router/ router is powered off

-  I suspect that PLC device lost pairing in the progress of changing the router. 

Make sure TP-link powerline unit are still paired, the House Leds should be both On on the 2 powerline units. 

1.Please Factory reset extender: 

Reset Wireless powerline unit:  Press and hold the Reset button (or use a pin to press reset hole) until all LEDs turn off and start on again.          
Reset Wired Powerline unit: Press the pair button for more than 5 secs until most Led flash once  

2. Put 2 powerline unit in the wall sockets, in the same room, and pair them again :
Paring Note:  press Pair button only for 1 sec, Power Leds should be flashing on both powerline units in pairing process. ( if the Power Led does not blink, press it for 1 sec again) When the Powerline Led or House Leds are on, the pairing process is done

3. Connect main powerline unit to router via Ethernet cable, and put powerline extender in another room 
4.  Download this tpPLC Utility and customize wireless settings for powerline units.
 https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wpa4220-kit/

Here is an FAQ to change a WIFI name and password for WiFi powerline unit: 
http://www.tp-link.com/faq-1611.html

I hope this helps!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 570

Replies: 1

Related Articles