PRIVACY WARNING UNDER RANGE EXTENDER’S WIFI NAME IN SETTINGS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-22 00:38:36
Model: Range Extender  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello I'm really hoping someone can help me! So I have a tp link range extender which I bought for £15 from Argos a couple of months ago (I'll picture it below), so I bought this obviously to help with my WiFi connection speed so I can get WiFi to my bedroom and it has definitely done its job well with the reason why I bought it, however, recently I've noticed a privacy warning underneath my WiFi extender label in my settings (also pictured below) and I don't know why this is there or how I can get rid of it, I've tried resetting network settings and I've trued forgetting the network then connecting again and these 2 methods did work to get rid of the privacy warning but only for 5 minutes and it always comes back. If anyone knows why this is there and how I could remove it I would be extremely thankful you have no idea as I'm getting very worried now, thank you for taking your time to read this, I hope I find an answer! 

Options
11 Reply
Re:PRIVACY WARNING UNDER RANGE EXTENDER’S WIFI NAME IN SETTINGS
2021-12-22 12:05:19

@Shxy6 

Check this solution and test if it will work in your case.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-22 23:12:37

@terziyski Hello thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it. I did dowloand the deco app and tried following the method but found out I couldn't straight away since I don't have a deco I just have a range extender so the method about going on the deco settings etc I wasn't able to do, however, what I tried was I went back onto my WiFi settings on my iPhone and I clicked Configure DNS > changed it to manual > added the 2 DNS codes 8.8.8.8 & 1.1.1.1 and as of right now it actually has kept the privacy warning away all day! I'm just waiting to see if it stays away and I'll keep you updated if not. I just have a quick question though, what does changing the DNS in my WiFi network settings actually do? Like what does it mean? Thanks again! 

Options
2021-12-22 23:45:11

@Shxy6 

Uninstall the Deco app since you don't need it - it was just an example what should you do to resolve the issue with the warning message.

That could happen with iOS devices wheather they are connected to Deco or RE as in your case:

"Ever since IOS 14, Apple started supporting encrypted DNS, and sometimes you might get this“ privacy warning: this network is blocking encrypted DNS ” notice on your iOS devices when they are connected to a network that did not support encrypted DNS. So it was not specific to Deco.
Even though Deco did not support encrypted DNS, it could forward the encrypted DNS traffic to the DNS server that does.
"

"Case 2. The DNS server provided by the ISP does not support DNS over HTTPS/ DNS over TLS.
Solution:
Please set the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 manually in Deco App > More > Advanced > IPv4, then go to the WiFi setting of your IOS devices, forget/delete the Deco’s network, and reconnect to it again.
"

The idea of this solution is to set your Modem/Router/Deco device DNSes manually to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 and mitigate this warning.

You've set that manually directly on your iPhone which is working as well, but just for this particular device.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-23 00:04:16

@terziyski Oh okay I undertand, so what I done does work but only for the devices I changed the DNS manually for in Apple settings. Well since my TV & Xbox are also connected to my booster ideally I need to change the DNS in my range extender settings is that what you're saying? And if so, how would I change the DNS in my range extender settings? I did uninstall the deco app since I don't have a deco, but the app I do have for my range extender is the tether app, is there a way I could change the DNS settings in this app? 

Options
2021-12-23 11:20:03 - last edited 2021-12-23 11:33:39

@Shxy6 

With the TP-Link RE you're extending your main wireless network, so you do have a main wireless modem/router.

Thus the DNS setting should be done in your main wireless modem/router.

Although the settings in question on your RE are here (if you browse the RE WebGUI with a computer browser):

Options
2021-12-23 14:15:57

@terziyski Hello I have a Virgin media hub 3.0 and I've logged into it online to change the DNS servers on there however I can't seem to find the DNS serves to change anywhere, i don't know where they are & is it mandatory to change the DNS servers on that range extender website if so, what is it please? Because I typed RE WebGUI into to Google and that website didn't come up, I apologise if I'm being slow I'm just really not that clever with this stuff.

Options
2021-12-23 17:01:03

@Shxy6 

It appears that you can't change the VM Hub DNS - see this thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Changing-Hub-DNS/m-p/4647629#M387435

So you have to chnage the DNS settings on the RE only.

The WebGUI of your RE is the web management page when you open it's IP address in a web browser.

So, if your RE is with IP address 192.168.0.254 then open a browser and point it at http://tplinkrepeater.net or IP (http://192.168.0.254 by default)

Login with your credentials configured on the RE and change the DNS using my previous post as a reference for DNS settings location.

Here's a quick guide on how to login your RE.

You probably can change the DNS via the Tether app as well, but you have to find where the DNS settings are.

Options
2021-12-23 19:43:57

@terziyski Hi I found out my RE's IP address through the tether app and I typed it into Google and a tp website appeared so I logged in and I changed my RE's DNS servers to the ones you listed & in the right order, then pressed save! So now I think it's all done and I have nothing else to do? If so, thank you so much for your help you've been incredible! 

Options
2021-12-25 22:53:21

It's 2 days later & it's still happening after I've done what you told me...oh man this has got me so worried & annoyed 😫 @terziyski 

Options
2021-12-26 14:00:08 - last edited 2021-12-26 14:20:59

Thanks for the help from @terziyski 

@Shxy6

Please check story here explaining why IOS device reports Privacy warning: 

About Privacy and Security Warnings on iOS

• Privacy Warning about Private WLAN address being turned off
  1. To improve privacy, Apple suggested keeping private addresses enabled all the time so that your device would use a different MAC address with each Wi-Fi network. You can find Apple's explanation here.

2. To get rid of this warning, you can enable the Private Address on your iOS.

• Privacy Warning about not supporting encrypted DNS

1. Go to the Wi-Fi Settings of your iOS devices, forget/delete the network, then reconnect to it again. Check and confirm if the Privacy Warning will disappear.
2. Contact Router support and change Router DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 manually

Note to factory reset extender and relink it to router after change router DNS to 8.8.8.8.

Reset RE with RE powered on, keep pressing the reset button until all the Leds flash once)

As the story, case2 'Privacy Warning about not supporting encrypted DNS' , you could try to change router DNS server with the help of router support. 

If still the same, can you confirm some case details here

• If Connect the IOS device directly to main router and test for 1 day, is there any ' Privacy Warning'?

I would like to create a support email for you to look into the case further, please also check your email inbox. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2718

Replies: 11

Related Articles