TL-MR100 Parental Control-related issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-04 13:04:50
Model: TL-MR100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210601 Rel.32393n

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a TP-Link router and set up some rules for using the internet, mainly blacklisting Youtube and other social platforms during certain times.

Once a child accesses the internet, the router reboots itself and keeps rebooting every time the internet is accessed.

To prevent such rebooting, I had to grant full access to the devices that are under parental control.

Firmware version:

1.4.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210601 Rel.32393n (latest)

please advise!

Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-MR100 Parental Control-related issue
2022-01-05 10:43:40

Options
2022-01-06 11:36:14

@maf1250 

BTW, I have added keywords and domain names in both the Whitelist and Blacklist fields. Is it possible that such contradiction may cause the rebooting?

Also, sometimes the devices affected leave suddenly and rejoin after a short period of time. 

Options
2022-01-07 08:26:23 - last edited 2022-01-07 08:32:03

UPDATE:

I have deleted the whitelisted keywords and domain names and tried to access a blacklisted domain on one of the affected devices. Instead of just denying access, the router rebooted itself!

This happens every time an affected device tries to access a blacklisted keyword/domain. 
Also, I noticed that the affected devices can't access other websites unless they are added to the Whitelist field, which is weird because it is stated in the information box that

"A. If you want the controlled devices to have access to all websites except certain ones, select Blacklist.
B. If you want the controlled devices to only have access to certain websites, select Whitelist."

Options
2022-01-07 10:07:54

@maf1250 

Hi, thank you very much for all the detailed information.

This issue is quite unexpected.

I would like to follow up on your case by email(please check the email and make sure you could get an email from me), and could you please help me check the following information:

1. What are the kid's devices under parental control? May I know their model number and operating system?

2. If turning off the parental control and trying to access the blocked domain name, will the router still reboot?

3. Will you be able to reproduce the same issue every time when try to access the blocked domains?

If yes, Could you please back up the configuration file and send it to me?

Thank you again.

Options
2022-01-07 10:21:30

@TP-Link 

Thanks for your swift reply. 

1. Well, I have two children, one has an iPhone and a PS4, the other has an android tablet, so it isn't an OS-related issue, I believe.

2. Yes, everything becomes normal once the bulb icon for the designated device is clicked.

3. Unfortunately, yes!

I will add the config file shortly. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 477

Replies: 5