Powerline adapter won't pair

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-07 12:38:37
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I have just purchased a Powerline Extender (model TL-WPA4220) to use with an existing Powerline network, but can't get it to pair - the powerline LED doesn't come on.  I have tried various ways of doing it with no success.  I'm wondering whether it is faulty, and whether there is any way of checking this before I exchange it.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Powerline adapter won't pair
2022-01-11 06:47:38 - last edited 2022-01-27 07:12:49

Hello 

1. Try to pair manually: please  put 2 powerline unit in the wall sockets, in the same room, and pair them again :
Paring Note:  press Pair button only for 1 sec, Power Leds should be flashing on both powerline units in pairing process. ( if the Power Led does not blink, press it for 1 sec again)
When the Powerline Led or House Leds are on, the pairing process is done

FAQ: How to secure (pair) the Powerline Network?
-  Connect main powerline unit to router via Ethernet cable, and put powerline extender in another room 

2. Try to pair using tpPLC Utlity 

Please factory reset your powerline unit by tpPLC Utility one by one:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1612/   

Refer to this instruction to pair the powerline units/ add an extra powerline unit by Powerline Key: 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1615/

Options
2022-01-11 09:35:00

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your reply, but I have tried all those things already several times to no effect!  When I try to pair using the pair buttons, the on/off light on the new adapter doesn't blink.  I have also tried to pair using the tpPLC utility, but when I enter the Powerline key I get a message "unable to add the device".

I had the same problem with another adapter I bought (same model) and assumed it was faulty so returned it and ordered a replacement.  The new one did actually work for a while but has now stopped working.

I would be grateful for any further suggestions.  It seems unlikely that both this and the previous adapter are both faulty.  I wondered if anyone else has had the same problem.

Options
2022-01-11 13:38:13 - last edited 2022-01-11 13:41:58

@SteveBamf @Solla-topee 

I have exactly the same problem. Returned the first item and got a new one in exchange, but with the same problem. The powerline LED doesn't go on and pressing the pairing button results in nothing.

Options
2022-01-12 02:54:24 - last edited 2022-01-14 02:47:27

Hello @mb36 @SteveBamf 

• When manually press the Pair button, will the Power Led Flash on the main and extender units?  If not, please Pair button again on that unit for 1 sec -> try a different wall socket for that unit and press pair button. 
  • Make sure to plug them in the wall sockets and try to pair in the same room 
  • Try a different room to pair
  • Plug both power line units on the same power board and try to pair again  (to isolate if issue caused by poor house power line environment )
  • Did you factory both on tpPLC Utility before pair them in tpPLC Utility, here are 2 methods to pair them via tpPLC Utility: 
  • Method1:How to add a device to the network using tpPLC Utility (new logo)?
  • Method2: How to secure (pair) the Powerline Network?

• Try to update firmware for both powerline units: 

(select Hardware according to the back label of device before download corresponding firmware )
Firmware for WPA4220: https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wpa4220/
Firmware for PA4010: https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-pa4010-kit/#Firmware

@mb36 May I know the model & hardware version of your Powerline kit? 

Try to pair using tpPLC utility as guide above

Options
2022-01-12 03:02:43

@Solla-topee 

Thank you. I will try this advice, but I can already say that the power LED does not blink when I press the pair button, even repeated times. And I don´t think it is normal to have to try all these things you mention. The device should just work. However I will do my best, and will get back with the results tomorrow.

Options
2022-01-12 08:39:22

@mb36 If Power Led does not flash, that could be some fault on the certain unit, usually not on both or 2 kits. Feel free to let us know if that works for you, good luck to you! 

Options
2022-01-12 08:42:16 - last edited 2022-01-12 08:42:52

@Solla-topee 

Only the wifi unit won't flash the power LED when I press the pair button. I think the unit is faulty just like the one I returned to the shop. It's a TL-WPA4220. Laterst firmware.

Options
2022-01-13 06:39:29

Hello @mb36 

Just want to make sure  you press the correct Pair button on the bottom for 1 sec, and Power Led should be flashing

- try a different wall outlet and press pair button and see if it flashes or not 

- plug it into powerboard/ powerstrip and press pair button

-Reset Wireless powerline unit:  
With device powered on, prress and hold the Reset button (or use a pin to press reset hole)  until all LEDs will turn off and start on again.   

If still won't flash, you could contact the retailer or local support to check warranty 

Options
2022-01-13 10:27:28

@Solla-topee 

Thanks, I have done all those things, but nothing works. So apparently it's a faulty unit (the second one). I will return it to where I bought it and get my money back.

Options
2022-01-14 02:45:51 - last edited 2022-01-14 03:31:47

Hello @mb36 

Understood, thank you for your support to tp-link device, hope you could find suitable device that works for you. 

Options