4K Fire Stick not connecting to closest S4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-23 18:46:16
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: LATEST

I just installed and performed updates to the firmware on a Deco S4 AC1200 3 device mesh system. My download speed is 30Mbps. I just connected a new Fire Stick 4K Max to my TV with its latest updates. I have a S4 mesh point two feet from the Fire Stick name Living Room but the Fire Stick connects to a mesh point that is 90 feet away that is named Office instead of the one 2 feet away.

What can I do to make the Fire Stick connect the Living Room mesh point not the Office mesh point?

Fwiw, I'm not sure of the hardware version.

Thank you for looking.

Options
9 Reply
Re:4K Fire Stick not connecting to closest S4
2022-01-23 19:53:21

@happy2bhere 

You either have to live with it or return it. 

Adding non-tplink routers to mesh

Deco is not getting signal source from the nearest Deco

Deco M5 source signal selectable?

This has been requested since 2019, a firmware update isn't likely...

Options
2022-01-23 20:43:00

@happy2bhere 

@Serpenio got two similarly looking issues confused. Your Fire Stick 4K Max can't figure which Deco WiFi mesh node has strongest signal, to connect to. That can't be fixed by Deco firmware update from TP-Link. That is Amazon problem.

I am impressed that Fire Stick 4K Max can get signal from Deco node 90 feet away. I am guessing, it is connecting on WiFi 2.4GHz. If it does, there could be a way to force it connect to nearest Living Room Deco, and on faster 5GHz. 

Check in Deco app if Fire Stick 4K Max connects on 2.4GHz or on 5GHz to Office Deco. On Main Screen, find Fire Stick 4K Max in the list of online devices, touch it to open its screen.Touch cogwheel in the top right corner and new screen will open with device details. You can find it there, under Connection Type.

Let me know what you have found, and I can provide you with next steps.

-----

Also, it would help if you can tell what is the name of the third Deco unit from your set, how far it is from Fire Stick and which one of these three is Main Deco.

-----

>I'm not sure of the hardware version.

Not related to the topic, but you could find Deco nodes firmware version in Deco app under More/Update Deco. Wait till it stops checking for updates and it'll show you your Deco node(s) current firmware version, under confusing label "New Firmware Version." That label should have been "Current Firmware Version."

Options
2022-01-23 20:47:09

Alexandre. wrote

That can't be fixed by Deco firmware update from TP-Link.

@Alexandre.  

Actually a firmware update, would make it possible to make the device select which node/AP you want to connect to. 

Options
2022-01-23 20:54:13 - last edited 2022-01-23 20:55:56

Serpenio wrote

Alexandre. wrote

That can't be fixed by Deco firmware update from TP-Link.

@Alexandre.  

Actually a firmware update, would make it possible to make the device select which node/AP you want to connect to. 

@Serpenio 

Not really. Fire stick does see something like this in the list of nodes broadcasting on 2.4GHz:

and decides to connect to Deco Node 3 instead of Deco Node 1. No firmware update in Deco will fix that Fire Stick behavior.

My plan is to change that picture to force Fire Stick look for nodes broadcasting exclusively on 5GHz, which should look like that:

Fire Stick will have no choice but connect to Deco Node 1, as the only one with good signal. The closest one.

Options
2022-01-23 20:58:54

Alexandre. wrote

. No firmware update in Deco will fix that Fire Stick behavior.

@Alexandre. 

If they split the 5ghz and 2ghz and let people name them different names; that firmware update would resolve this issue. 

Options
2022-01-23 21:13:08

@Alexandre. 

split the 5ghz and 2ghz and let people name them different names

@Serpenio 

This is what I did with my Deco mesh the day I deployed it at my house over a year ago. If you re-read my first reply to @happy2bhere, you'll see that I am trying to establish if that same approach can work for his issue with Fire Stick 4K Max.

For that to work, the first step is to check if Fire Stick is connected on 2.4GHz. I am pretty sure it does (to WiFi node 90 ft. away!), but I don't want to assume.

When that is confirmed, the next step will be to find if it is possible to split 5GHz and 2.4GHz on his WiFi mesh without impacting his other mobile devices. Just like I did on my Deco mesh.

If it is, the last step would be to force Fire Stick connect to Deco SSID that broadcasts on 5GHz only.

Options
2022-01-23 21:22:13

Alexandre. wrote

Just like I did on my Deco mesh.

@Alexandre. 

At first I was thinking you couldn't do this natively, but then I realized you're probably using the guest network as a work-around. 

Options
2022-01-23 23:56:02

@happy2bhere Thank you all for your reponses. I will update you by tomorrow with my progress.

Options
2022-01-26 01:54:42

@happy2bhere After restarting all of the mesh access points the Fire Stick is now connecting to the Living Room access point.

Thank you all.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1441

Replies: 9