Adding non-tplink routers to mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-19 12:03:51
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Is it possible to add non-tplink nodes to a tp-link based primary router?

How do I do that?

I have Totolink and linksys (and probably some others).

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Adding non-tplink routers to mesh
2022-01-19 14:48:34

Basically, no. While wifi is a standard, all mesh vendors use its own proprietary implementation, meaning that they do not work when mixed.

There was some work ongoing to develop a standard (wi-fi EasyMesh, https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-easymesh) but hardly any vendor joined in and it the implementation is not even complete. So, unless the vendors report they are easy mesh compliant, do not mix vendors, they will simply not work.

Options
2022-01-19 14:53:26
Thanks for the quick reply. So did TP-link declare they interoperate with any other vendor?
Options
2022-01-19 18:20:38
You hardwire non-tp link routers via ethernet cables...if you want to do that.
Options
2022-01-19 18:31:49
I already have wiring. But how do I make sure the same SSID is used and that devices hop between the routers based on signal strength (and not only when they disconnect from the far router because it’s out of range completely)?
Options
2022-01-20 04:01:31 - last edited 2022-01-20 04:39:03

Yuhoo wrote

how do I make sure the same SSID is used and that devices hop between the routers based on signal strength (and not only when they disconnect from the far router because it’s out of range completely)?

@Yuhoo 

That's where you're going to run into a problem - even on the same network, with the same devices, really hard to control. This is due to the client(the device) selecting which AP/wifi to connect based on variable metrics, that TP-link normally doesn't have access to. (You may think it's stronger/weaker, but maybe a nearby microwave or a something metallic for the signal to bounce off begs to differ)

Make sure the option for fast-roaming is off. 

But, seems your only option is to put in a request to make it so you can control the power of your TP-Link's AP's wifi signal, and make it so the nearby APs aren't so powerful...most other routers have this option :shrug:

Edit: Your issue has been a problem for a while

Deco is not getting signal source from the nearest Deco

Deco x20 choosing the wrong signal source

Deco M4R and E4R need to select the source signal

Deco M5 source signal selectable?

Going on 2 years with some of these threads...if you absolutely need this, find a different router. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1382

Replies: 5