Isolated guest network also isolates from DNS server ... which prevents Wi-Fi client to use it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Isolated guest network also isolates from DNS server ... which prevents Wi-Fi client to use it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-11 23:07:11
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

In my network I have my internet provider, which is my gateway, 192.168.1.1.
I also have my DHCP and DNS server: 192.168.1.21. Its DHCP configures clients with gateway 192.168.1.1 and DNS as itself.

I also have a mix of Deco X90 and M9 plus as access points. There are running 2 Wi-Fi networks, my own one, as well as the guest network, running as isolated.
DHCP requests are working properly when Guest is isolated. For example smartphones get their IP address and their configuration, for gateway and DNS.
They can query the gateway. But the DNS queries are blocked.

If DNS server is configured as an external server, it works.

Here I don't know what to think: yes, it is more or less the main principal for isolation of networks. But then, why DHCP requests are authorized ? And if isolation only means requests for services other than basic one, why DNS requests are rejected ? 

I do not know if many customers are running with this kind of configuration but being able to locally run a DHCP and DNS server should be supported on both networks, isolated or not.
Let me know what you think of it ! 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Isolated guest network also isolates from DNS server ... which prevents Wi-Fi client to use it
2022-02-15 09:39:50

@GuiPoM 

Hi, Thank you very much for your patience.

Here is some background information:

Under access point mode, all the clients under guest network are only allowed to access the gateway and it is not separated from the host network by VLAN anymore.

You are right and this issue was discussed before for more details, the following link might help:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/259432

Options
Re:Isolated guest network also isolates from DNS server ... which prevents Wi-Fi client to use it
2022-03-01 20:42:19

@TP-Link Thank you for your answer. It does not solve my issue, but at least it shows me that other customers are facing the same issue and will face it for a long time as it does not seem that something will be done in this area.

Sadly what I read in that thread is looking the same that what I can read on other threads. I guess you are doing your best on this forum to help customers but tp-link has to understand that a Deco X90 kit is more than 600€. The corresponding Asus kit is 400€. There are no such silly limitations when you buy Asus network equipement, even though Asus is not targeting networking as a primary business. I can't undestand this.

This limitation should have been recorded and fixed on earlier versions of Deco (M9 Plus for example, that was similarly expensive ...) for months, not to say years now. There is a defect in the way guest network is working, and this enough this raise some priorities at development team to fix it. The set of features on Deco devices did not changed a lot for one or two years now. What could be understood as a starting point at that time is now, from my point of view, feeling like lack of capacity to maintain features up to date and align with other brands, as well as aligned across tp-link products.

I really hope that you will be able to push, once again, the product requirement to your team. As well as others that start becoming very urgent to fix !

Options
2022-03-02 14:30:09 - last edited 2022-03-02 14:31:00

@GuiPoM Hello,

I am disappointed with X90 too. Totally agree with you point! This is the worst router EVER MADE.

Today even TP-Link wrote me that they can't fix the issues I have.

I don't know how this piece of plastic (it can be used only as a trash can) won CES. Can we ask CES to cancel the award, because it is so misleading.

X90 is:

- basic

- requires subscription for basic functions, which don't cost TP-Link something

- no any control over guest network

- not compatible with almost any older and IoT devices

- not supported

- not actually Mesh, becaue you can't manually choose the node to which to connect

Update: I also bought X90 because had many problems with M9 Plus and they promised if I give 600 EUR for X90 everyting will work. Now only 10 of more than 70 Wi-Fi Devices are working...

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1028

Replies: 3

Related Articles