TP-Link leeching off the FOSS community

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-12 18:01:32

Every TP-Link product contains FOSS software, and almost every TP-Link router I know of contains Linux.

Why is it TP-Link's business practice to leech off the FOSS community and not support them in return with things like WiFi adapter drivers for Linux?

It is extremely disrespectful and selfish.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-Link leeching off the FOSS community
2022-05-31 23:58:22
Hey, open source software user here myself. The latest and greatest TP-Link products have generic drivers that work beautifully on modern Linux operating systems. The problem you are complaining about has not been a thing for a good amount of time. It's not practical for a company to revisit older, possibly no longer in use hardware, to rewrite drivers for kernels, for a operating system with a relatively minor userbase. TP-Link legally cannot "leech" off the FOSS community. They have a clear disclaimer on their Downloads Center that specify how their software use code from GPL applications and have to be used under the terms of the relevant GPL licenses.
Options
2022-06-01 07:31:05

@apexstrada just bought an Archer T2U Plus wireless adapter. Didn't work out of the box on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which was the latest Ubuntu LTS at the time. I read nothing but complaints by other people not being able to get it working with other Linux distributions either.

I don't even know what you mean by "generic drivers".

Only you have are talking about re-writing drivers.

Sounds like you haven't been using Linux very long.

Options
2022-06-02 01:22:40

@OkWhatever 

Sorry, I only have a UB400, it's a bluetooth adapter, not a WiFi one. I for some reason swapped in bluetooth products with what you were complaining with.

I won't defend the existence of the Archer T2U, but I have never heard of a properly functioning WiFi adapter for linux either. I have never bothered with WiFi on linux, always run it through Ethernet.

You say I haven't been using Linux for a long time yet you were the one that made the blunder purchase decision!

Unless it's an Intel card, WiFi almost always never works on Linux. TP-Link is surely to blame for their incompetence for not open-sourcing their driver, but to say they're leeching off the FOSS community was probably too personal sounding for anyone to reply to your sentiment for 3 months.

It's a way bigger problem to nail it on just one company. Have a good day.

Options
2022-08-08 17:07:23 - last edited 2022-08-08 17:09:09
  @OkWhatever Try the rtl8812au drivers.

$ sudo apt install git build-essential dkms 
$ git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git 
$ cd rtl8812au
$ sudo ./dkms-install.sh
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 798