Archer VR2100 configuration question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-28 15:26:19 - last edited 2023-05-12 08:36:34
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My Archer VR2100 shows up as being in the "WORGROUP" workgroup. I need to change that to bring it into line with my workgroup name. But there doesn't seem to be anywhere to make that change.

It should be up to date as it was only bought this month.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer VR2100 configuration question-Solution
2022-03-01 10:37:56 - last edited 2023-05-12 08:36:34

@woozle

Thank you.

I have three Linux servers on my network (webserver, file server and media server) and the two of them which have Samba setups have my required workgroup name correctly set in their samba config files (which, I'm afraid, have to have rather more than that basic configuration.)

Having checked the configuration page for USB sharing, it seems that it has no reference at all to a workgroup name.

I have also attempted to do a login to the router under it's Linux visibility on my network. However, whilst I get a login invitation, the router username & password do not grant access, and of course I have no idea of the root password. Maybe someone has managed to log in to their router via Linux?

Perhaps someone from TP-Link can offer me advice? I do not wish to change my workgroup to "workgroup" (ok, "workgroup" is the default Windows value, but strictly, that is not appropriate for me).

Thanks, KAS

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer VR2100 configuration question
2022-02-28 19:32:53 - last edited 2022-03-01 01:17:16

@KennethS 

I think the Windows workgroup name you see for a Linux-based router is related to the Samba server that handles the file sharing.

A standard configuration file for the Samba server (smb.conf) begins like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[global]
    netbios name = TP-Share 
    display charset = UTF-8
    interfaces = 127.0.0.1/8 lo 192.168.0.1/24 br-lan 
    server string = samba server
    unix charset = UTF-8
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    browseable = yes
    deadtime = 30
    domain master = yes
    encrypt passwords = true

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out the configuration page for the USB storage sharing on your VR2100 router yourself, but I guess there will be no field that allows you to enter a custom workgroup name, which means you can consider the default workgroup name "WORKGROUP" to be hardcoded into the firmware.

Options
Re:Archer VR2100 configuration question-Solution
2022-03-01 10:37:56 - last edited 2023-05-12 08:36:34

@woozle

Thank you.

I have three Linux servers on my network (webserver, file server and media server) and the two of them which have Samba setups have my required workgroup name correctly set in their samba config files (which, I'm afraid, have to have rather more than that basic configuration.)

Having checked the configuration page for USB sharing, it seems that it has no reference at all to a workgroup name.

I have also attempted to do a login to the router under it's Linux visibility on my network. However, whilst I get a login invitation, the router username & password do not grant access, and of course I have no idea of the root password. Maybe someone has managed to log in to their router via Linux?

Perhaps someone from TP-Link can offer me advice? I do not wish to change my workgroup to "workgroup" (ok, "workgroup" is the default Windows value, but strictly, that is not appropriate for me).

Thanks, KAS

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 526

Replies: 2