Multiple WiFi cameras on mesh network seem to create traffic jam when NVR introduced

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Multiple WiFi cameras on mesh network seem to create traffic jam when NVR introduced

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-14 11:08:12
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.5.7 Build 20210819 rel 43499

Hi.
So i have a few DECO mesh networks up and running about the place.
I have recently begun adding some cctv cameras at these locations and have run into some interesting and rather frustrating issues.

1. on one network where i have a mesh of 6 deco units across 2 small houses where i am trying to get 12 cameras to record on an 16ch NVR I am experiencing devices jsut dropping off the network completely. As long as I keep the number of cameras linked to the 16ch NVR less than 6 everything is normal.
The moment i add no.6 other devices disappear and then come back randomly. Completely cannot see them on the app network list nor can you ping them.
FYI all cctv equipment set with static IPs below the DHCP issuing range.
I have set all devices to NOT be mesh enabled. Only mesh devices are my laptop and my phone but still 6 cameras and down goes usually the same culprits but nothing to do with IP conflicts, nor signal strength. the most notorious has got a good 54% signal strength and is only 5m open air away from the closest mesh point.
wired cameras are not effected only wifi cameras. I have tried dropping resolution changing frame rates nothing seems to make it better.
Note cameras are all HIK vision devices even the switches and the NVR

2.on another network i have all devices issued IPs from DHCP reservations these behave similar but not entirely the same. Again 6 cameras seems to be a magic number but the devices do not ghost themselves rather just become difficult to reach even though they are in good network coverage and can be reached over the internet via their native platforms. This network i have a mix of devices some porting through iscee platform other through ezviz and others through hikvision onto a smaller 8ch NVR

Is there a streaming limitation on the deco units?
What could be causing the sudden network instability when 6 cameras are trying to be recorded at an NVR?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Multiple WiFi cameras on mesh network seem to create traffic jam when NVR introduced
2022-03-15 10:30:53

@KaliCreature 

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I would like to consult your case with the engineers later.

At the same time, could you please help me confirm the following details:

1.On the other network that you did not use Deco, it has the similar issue about Hikvision cameras and NVR right?

2.All the 12 cameras and wired NVR are set static IP addresses out of DHCP IP range.

6.even though the wireless cameras are disconnected from NVR, they are still reachable over the internet via their native platforms?

Options
Re:Multiple WiFi cameras on mesh network seem to create traffic jam when NVR introduced
2022-03-15 12:43:20

@David-TP

ok some clarifications.

both networks are based on deco M5 mesh

Net 1 is static IP set below 100 out of DHCP range

all hik vision cameras, switches and NVR
When cameras miss behave they disappear completely off mesh and not pinging

Net 2 is pure dynamic with address reservations through DHCP

Mixed cameras, tp link 5 port switch and HIK NVR

when cameras missbehave they are there on mesh and can be pinged but communciations very slow

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 466

Replies: 2