Why does only one extender show in router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-14 11:57:22
Model: TL-WPA4220  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 181207

Hi,

I am having some problems with one of my adapters which may well become the subject of another thread. However, one thing that is odd about it is as described below, so before I go off on a long thread, I thought I would investigate this aspect of it first.

I have three identical powerline extenders in the house. Two are in the kids' rooms and I am sure they would tell me if they weren't working! The other is in the living room and is mainly used for the smart TV. Or it was until it stopped working. The question I have here is that this is the only one of the three that shows up in my router admin software. In other words, I have two working adapters that don't show as connected to the router and one adapter that isn't working that does show. Or, is it the main unit attached to the router that shows up and none of the extender adapters is allocated an IP address? All three show in the tpplc utility, plus the main adapter, but the icons at the bottom of the representation of the problem adapter in the utility software are in white whereas those for the other adapters are in blue. Finally, although the router shows one unit as connected, and so does the utility software, I cannot ping it from my PC. The latter may be normal I guess. If I try to open the IP address in my browser, it doesn't connect.

I realise that some of that information may reflect normal behaviour, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible. If the answer to this is simply that it is the adapter directly connected to the router that is showing up in the software, that at least solves that part of the question and I will move on to a thread about the rest of the problem!

Thanks in advance.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Why does only one extender show in router?
2022-03-15 07:43:22 - last edited 2022-03-15 07:45:41

Hello @languageservice 

Wired powerline adapters/ older version powerline unit does not have an IP address, so you may not able to find them on your DHCP client list. 

If tpPLC Utility could see all powerline device, only the TV powerline adapter is white, that unit is unpaired from other units, 

You could also use tpPLC utility to add more powerline extenders:How to add a device to the network using tpPLC Utility (new logo)? 

If this does not work, connect the TV powerline adapter --computer , reset it and add device again:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1612/

Options
2022-03-15 17:11:56 - last edited 2022-03-15 21:06:38

Two posts seem to have come through!

Options
2022-03-15 21:05:27

That's what I expected about the IP address, so thanks for confirming it.

As to the rest, nothing seems to be working. The lights on the front will be on for a short while, then go off, then all the lights come on, then the top two stay on. Pressing the pair button doesn't make the power led flash and I am not getting the SSID for the unit even after I reset it. Even connecting with a cable only works sporadically. I did manage to run a firmware update, but since then have had no luck. I think it is probably dead!

Options
2022-03-17 13:19:24

Hello   @languageservice 

After factory reset device via tpPLC Utilty , default TPLINK powerline SSID should show up. 

You could try a manually reset, with device powered on, use a pin to push the pin hole until most Leds flash once , then check on the phone & laptop for the TPLINK SSID.

If still not brocasts WiFi name, it should be a faulty unit. 

Options
2022-03-18 20:12:35

Hi @Solla-topee. Thanks for the reply. The utility sees the adapter but a reset fails every time. A manual reset also doesn't appear to have any effect. Pairing doesn't seem to work either. I think I will have to assume that the device is defective and look for a new one.

Options
2022-04-01 20:41:22

Just to finish this off, I have bought a new unit and it is working fine, so the other one was obviously defective.

Options