Deco x20-4G loosing all wired clients when using 3g/4g failover

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-24 14:13:02 - last edited 2022-03-25 07:31:22
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 build20220708 rel. 64376

I have a x20-4G hooked up to a ISP provided cable modem through the first ethernet port on the router, and a SIM-card set up to provide 3G/4G failover. I also have a switch connected to the second ethernet port on the router, with various devices connected such as a pi-hole providing DNS with adblocking.

If I simulate a failover scenario by disconnecting the ISP modem from the x20-4G, the router correctly switches over to 4G. But the connection to the switch, which has not been physically disconnected from the router, goes down. Only the wireless devices remain connected. This creates several problems, but the main one is that I loose the pi-hole DNS, and consequently all wireless devices loose internet even though the router has successfully failed over to 4G.

As soon as I reconnect the ISP modem and the router switches back to wired internet, the wired clients also reconnect and all is well.

Is this intended behavior, disconnecting all wired clients when 3G/4G failover is active?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco x20-4G loosing all wired clients when using 3g/4g failover-Solution
2022-03-25 03:27:42 - last edited 2022-03-25 07:31:22

@magfred 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

If you keep the modem connected to Deco X20-4G when the internet is down, the Ethernet devices from the switch would still keep working.

Since Deco Z20-4G also had WAN-LAN auto-sensing mechanism and when you plug the modem from Deco, it could not specify a fixed WAN port so both Ethernet ports on Deco will be considered as potential WAN ports.

the following link might provide more details:

WAN/LAN auto-sensing

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco x20-4G loosing all wired clients when using 3g/4g failover-Solution
2022-03-25 03:27:42 - last edited 2022-03-25 07:31:22

@magfred 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

If you keep the modem connected to Deco X20-4G when the internet is down, the Ethernet devices from the switch would still keep working.

Since Deco Z20-4G also had WAN-LAN auto-sensing mechanism and when you plug the modem from Deco, it could not specify a fixed WAN port so both Ethernet ports on Deco will be considered as potential WAN ports.

the following link might provide more details:

WAN/LAN auto-sensing

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 1067

Replies: 1

Related Articles