Archer AX20 - IPv6 address not assigned in access point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-09 19:01:26 - last edited 2023-08-15 03:01:04
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 Build 20211231 rel.53949(4A50)

I have a problem in IPv6 address assignment with Archer AX20 in access point mode.

My network configuration is as follows.

==(Optical line) == (Router provided by NTT) ---(LAN)--- AX20 ---(wireless)-- clients.

The router behaves as router for IPv4 and IPv6. And the IPv6 address is determined in SLAAC.

Clients send Router solicit message and the router responds router advertise message.

It works when a client is connected to the router directly, but it won't work for (wireless) clients connected through AX20.

When I reboot my AX20 and clients automatically reconnect, IPv6 addresses are assigned to the clients.

But if I disconnect and reconnect wireless of a client, IPv6 address is no longer assigned.

IP address assignment seems to work in router mode. AX20 has a configuration menu in router mode, and IPv6 is enabled in pass through mode.

But no IPv6 configuration menu is available in access point mode.

---

This is my guess.

Because RA(Router advertisement) works just after startup, I guess the AX20 intentionally filters out the packets.

I know the router is not fully transparent because "tplinkwifi.net" works even in access point mode. AX20 must sniff packet.

Because ipv6 menu is not available, IPv6 could be configured as "Disabled" internally, but my expectation for access point mode is full transparency like dumb Layer 2 switch.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX20 - IPv6 address not assigned in access point mode-Solution
2022-05-06 06:53:11 - last edited 2023-08-15 03:00:54

@Gentaro 

Thank you very much for sharing the valued information with the community. It's glad to know the issue is temporarily fixed by disabling multicast snooping and it's suggested to keep in contact with the engineers to get an updated solution. Please update here also once you get an update from them.

Updated on Aug 15, 2023:

As confirmed by @Gentaro here in the following community thread this issue has been addressed with the latest official 1.3.7 version:

AX20 - IPv6 address assignment issue seems resolved in the firmware 1.3.7

If anyone else encounters a similar issue, please make sure you've installed the latest firmware on your Archer AX20.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer AX20 - IPv6 address not assigned in access point mode
2022-04-11 06:24:27

@Gentaro 

Can I know how did you make it work as an access point mode? Case 1 or Case 2? What if you try the other?
Configure the TP-Link wireless router as Access Point

Do you mean the wireless clients that connect to the AX20 network cannot get an IPv6 address from the network, and you need to reboot the AX20? Who is your IPv6 provider? 

Options
2022-04-11 16:33:59

@Kevin_Z 

> Can I know how did you make it work as an access point mode? Case 1 or Case 2? What if you try the other?

> https://www.tp-link.com/jp/support/faq/1384/

My configuration is case 1: My Archer AX20 has the menu to select router mode and access point mode.

> Do you mean the wireless clients that connect to the AX20 network cannot get an IPv6 address from the network, and you need to reboot the AX20?

Yes. Clients can get IPv4 address via DHCP. And the clients were able to get IPv6 address after reboot of AX20.

>  Who is your IPv6 provider?

flets service provided by NTT-East in Japan.

A home gateway unit, which is provided by NTT, located in my home gets an IPv6 subnet by DHCP-PD, and the gateway box plays role of router. It announces subnetwork for IPv6 SLAAC, and servce DNS server, and DHCP server for IPv4 and IPv6. (IPv6 DHCP is only for DNS address and DHCP-PD)

Note: The idea of case 2 in the FAQ sounds like "Egg of Columbus" for me. It could be an workaround because IPv6 address distribution worked when I tried router mode.

Options
2022-04-12 02:27:45

@Gentaro 

Thank you very much for getting back with the detailed info.

Do you mean if you switch the AX20 to router mode, the IPv6 works fine without changing anything additional settings on the AX20? Did you need to enable IPv6 on the AX20 when it is working in router mode?

To better assist you and figure it out efficiently, we would like to escalate the case to the support engineers, who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options
2022-05-06 05:48:33

@Kevin_Z

I had a remote session with support team and the support team helped me to analyze my AX20.

Today my issue is resolved temporary by disabling multicast snooping in my AX20 (through a debug interface). So it seems an issue related to multicast packet handing.

I hope the issue will be resolved permanently in a new firmware.

Options
Re:Archer AX20 - IPv6 address not assigned in access point mode-Solution
2022-05-06 06:53:11 - last edited 2023-08-15 03:00:54

@Gentaro 

Thank you very much for sharing the valued information with the community. It's glad to know the issue is temporarily fixed by disabling multicast snooping and it's suggested to keep in contact with the engineers to get an updated solution. Please update here also once you get an update from them.

Updated on Aug 15, 2023:

As confirmed by @Gentaro here in the following community thread this issue has been addressed with the latest official 1.3.7 version:

AX20 - IPv6 address assignment issue seems resolved in the firmware 1.3.7

If anyone else encounters a similar issue, please make sure you've installed the latest firmware on your Archer AX20.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 728

Replies: 5

Related Articles