WPA8631P KIT high ping when brother is downloading/watching streams. More than enough bandwidth.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WPA8631P KIT high ping when brother is downloading/watching streams. More than enough bandwidth.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-24 14:56:36
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So on our powerline network we get 70mbps download which I'm really happy with. The problem is, if my brother (also part of the network) is downloading or watching streams, I get huge ping spikes. Is there any way to get around this?

Options
2 Reply
Re:WPA8631P KIT high ping when brother is downloading/watching streams. More than enough bandwidth.
2022-04-26 02:46:28 - last edited 2022-04-26 02:47:20

@JackWCJones 

May I know do  your brother's pc and your computer use the Wi-Fi of power line device at the same time, to help isolate the issue, can you connect both devices to the router Wi-Fi nework and see if there is high ping or delay on router's wifi network? 

Scan nearby wireless channels using software like inSSIDer or WiFi Analyzer and select a less-crowded Wi-Fi channel on the router.

Use lower channel width 2.4Ghz -> 20Mh, 5Ghz -> 40Mhz to reduce interference.

• Check if the high ping occurs on certain device or all the device, try a phone / laptop to test  ping, if its related to certain device you could consider update driver for the adapter. 

The downloading especially large files may lead to high ping, it is recommended to close  the unnecessary apps or download file in non-rush hours. 

Here is a relared FAQ for router high ping which explains some factors that could cause a high ping : What should I do if I get the high ping value from TP-Link Wi-Fi router?

Options
Re:WPA8631P KIT high ping when brother is downloading/watching streams. More than enough bandwidth.
2022-05-04 19:39:39

Hi  @Solla-topee.

We both use the powerline network at the same time. Neither of our computers have WiFi adapters thus the powerline network in the first place.

It's not just large files that cause this sort of "bufferbloat" - small bandwidth use from either PC causes massive ping spikes between the opposite's PC and the router. It's so infuriating. Why can the powerlines not handle 2 devices using small amounts of bandwidth at the same time?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 320

Replies: 2