HomeShield content filtering not working on Archer AX73

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-02 05:24:16 - last edited 2022-06-01 09:41:34
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20211222 rel.74632(4341)

I've set up profiles, added devices and tried enabling content filtering in HomeShield, but it has no effect whatsoever. I expect for example for youtube, twitter and roblox to be blocked since i picked Media, Social Networking and Games in Filter Content screen. Adding websites in Blocked Websites kinds of works, but poorly. If a device happens to have a dns entry cached, then it is still able to access the site until that entry is gone from the cache. 

And by the way, I upgraded the firmware version to the latest, and also subscribed to the HomeShield Pro, but that didn't help with making content filtering work. Parental controls and in particular content filtering was the sole reason i bought this router and the router just plain fails at that. What did i pay $200 for?

If you can't implement content filtering properly, then at least let me block by IPs and ports, but no, there isn't such an option.

I'll probably be returning this thing if the issues can't be resolved shortly.

Options
4 Reply
Re:HomeShield content filtering not working on Archer AX73
2022-05-07 07:03:53

Hello @mistycape

Please firstly check and ensure the Parental Control settings on the AX73 are correct:

How to set up the HomeShield Parental Controls feature on a TP-Link Router

If YouTube still cannot be blocked, try to add the below domains to the blocked websites, then confirm:

youtube.com
youtube-ui.google.com
m.youtube.com
youtubei.googleapis.com

For Twitter and Roblox, you can check also and determine what are the visited domains, then add all of them to the blocked websites.

What's more, please ensure there is no VPN enabled in the network, which may invalidate the block settings.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-05-07 07:33:19

@Kevin_Z 

Dude, you're not helping.

Why are the instructions in German??

Anyways, i do have it set up correctly and no VPN is on. But HomeShield content filtering is still not working. At all. I can choose to block all categories and still nothing at all gets blocked. I've tried. A number of times now for the last few days.

Now, as for adding adding domains directly, sure i can do this and yes it works. But seriously what is the point of the content filtering then? Do you expect me to start adding hundreds of domains that are supposed to be covered by content filtering? That's just unfeasible and that was supposed to be the job done by the content filtering system. Twitter should be blocked by 'social networks' filter, Roblox by 'games' filter, and YouTube by 'media' filter. Obviously these are very well known sites and should be included in your content filtering, but they are not or content filtering just does not work at all. So you're selling a non functional feature and deceiving your customers. it's a $200 device with a poor functioning HomeShield and a subscription on top of that to unlock the 'premium' features. Pffft

Options
2022-05-07 07:54:01 - last edited 2022-05-07 07:54:25

@Kevin_Z 

i guess somehow my provider redirects me to a German version of the site. Not a big deal as I was able to find the English one.

But other points still stand.

Options
2022-11-01 02:33:11

@mistycape ever get a response? I'm facing same issue and about to return this hot trash

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 940

Replies: 4

Related Articles