Coded black neutral wire

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Coded black neutral wire

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Coded black neutral wire
Coded black neutral wire
2022-05-09 03:05:25
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

If you look at the below diagrams, I have one switch that has the second, "coded black" neutral wire. So I have a ground, a black, and a neutral that also works as a black. 3 wires total. Can I use a Kasa switch here? If so, how would I wire it correctly?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Coded black neutral wire
2022-05-10 12:33:41

@ClifM There are only 2 wires at the switch location, no neutral is available.  You can't safely use a kasa switch there without running a neutral wire.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:Coded black neutral wire
2022-06-27 06:27:36

@ClifM 

I'm sure you realize switch #1 is simply switching the line circuit, and that the return neutral comes back to the same wall-box.   Obviously you can use any smart switch I've seen in such an installation.

Of course #2 is different, it passes only the line current to the switch.  Stupid, but my goodness the stuff I've seen electricians do to save a few pennies.

On a completely unrelated note, did you know that while the purpose of a ground wire and a neutral are different, they are electrically identical? 

On another unrelated note, did you know the Kasa only uses neutral to run it's own internal electronics?  Not much current flowing there either. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 673

Replies: 2