RE220 Onemesh with AX55 router SLOW SPEEDS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-13 18:24:39
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 210608 Rel.32729n

We have a 1Gbps xfinity internet plan, and with our TP-Link AX55 router the speeds are typically from 300Mbps to 800Mbps depending on distance from the router.  I added the RE220 in our home because I wanted ethernet for our Shield TV, but of course I figured it might bump the speed/reliability from our basement.  Testing my laptop and phone in one location WITHOUT the RE220 I regularly see speeds > 300Mbps, but when I connect the RE220 in onemesh mode (same SSID) and my phone/laptop connect via the RE220, the speed tops out at around 80Mbps.  I know the max is 433Mbps, but why is the speed  SO MUCH LOWER when using the RE220 to extend our network???

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/fixes.  I will be returning the RE220 if I can't get better speeds than this.

Options
4 Reply
Re:RE220 Onemesh with AX55 router SLOW SPEEDS
2022-06-14 03:31:09

Hello @jperrywinters 

Range extender receives data from the router wirelessly and then forward it to the Wi-Fi network clients and speed will decrease during the transmission.

• For dual-band RE, test 5Ghz Wi-Fi band of range extender when perform a speed test. For RE220 the maximum Wi-Fi Link speed is 433Mbps
  • Try change router 5Ghz band to 80Mhz.
  • You could refer to the thread below to troubleshooting

What should I do if Internet speed becomes slow via Range Extender?

Can you help  provide some  information below to check if the speed is reasonable:

1. Speed test result from router's  at the RE's location, this is to check how much speed range extender could receive speed from router ; Wi-Fi  link speed  (How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client)

2. Speed test result of RE's 5Ghz Wi-Fi  & Wi-Fi  link speed 

Thank you

Options
2022-06-14 16:08:33 - last edited 2022-06-14 22:03:32

@Solla-topee

"Try change router 5Ghz band to 80Mhz."

I am running the AX55 in Smart Connect mode (no individual 2.4G/5G settings). 

"You could refer to the thread below to troubleshooting"

Note (1) from that link says to set a different SSID for the extender.  This is not possible in Onemesh mode.  Does Onemesh mode limit the download speed to 80Mbps?

Options
2022-06-14 16:22:43 - last edited 2022-06-14 18:19:15

@Solla-topee

Speedtest with RE plugged in and macbook listed as RE client (~5 ft from RE):

Speedtest with RE unplugged, same position as above (~20 ft from AX55 router):

Options
2022-06-15 07:08:00 - last edited 2022-06-15 07:10:56

Hello   @jperrywinters 

Thank you for more case details. As Range Extender works in ' half-duplex ' mode in extender mode,  it can only talk to the main router or the wireless client device in either way, not the same time, the link speed at physical layer will cut to half. On the other hand, the actual speed test could be around 40%-60% of wireless link speed due to overhead in the communication.  Here is an article explained the actual speed and link speed,  Why isn’t my Wi-Fi as fast as advertised?

Thus in extender mode, we use range extender mainly to increase the Wi-Fi coverage in wifi dead speed, not increase speed. 

In your case, if router speed is around 330Mbps, range extender speed working in extender mode might not very ideal.  To boost speed or get ideal speed, would you consider an Ethernet connection? To get better speed in the basement & TV requires an Ethernet port, you might  consider wiring a second Gigabit Router to the first router via Ethernet cable and use it in AP Mode. 

Or it is recommended to consider an AX Range extender, which has a chance to negotiate at higher link speed with router and improve performance, but kindly note that extender will also work in half duplex and speed also reduced in a wireless transmission. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 537

Replies: 4