Wifi Range Extender is 10x slow than wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-15 00:41:29 - last edited 2022-06-15 00:43:03
Model: RE105  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The wifi extender is extremely slow compared to the regular wifi. Download speed when connecting the laptop to the wifi (wirelessly) is ~200mbps. Connecting the laptop to the wifi extender via an ethernet cable drops the speed to ~70mbps. Connecting the laptop to the extender wirelessly (network_EXT) drops the speed to ~17mbps. For this testing I connected the wifi extender inches away from the router and the laptop is also inches away from both the router and the extender.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this to improve the speed?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wifi Range Extender is 10x slow than wifi
2022-06-17 02:33:23

@tpuser10 

To boost the Wifi speed of single band range extender, it is recommend to 1. change router 2.4Ghz Wifi bandwidth to 40Mhz. 

2. Scan the nearby Wii channel using the Wifi analyzer and select the most optimal 2.4Ghz channel for router.

Then reconfigure the range extender and see if the speed improves. 

If  you could implement an Ethernet connection, using range extender in AP mode which wire RE to router helps to get faster speed. 

As Range extender receives data from the router and then forward it to the connected clients and speed will decrease during the transmission,  the speed of router at RE's location is quite important.Can you test at RE's location, what 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi speed it receives? What is the Wifi Link speed and wifi speediest result when connected to Router /RE seperately as RE's location? 

Options
2022-06-24 02:06:21

@Solla-topee - I don't have an option to wire the RE using ethernet.

I used the wifi analyzer and changed the 2.4Ghz bandwidth to optimal 40MHz channel. This is the result at the location of RE.

RE: Link 145Mbps, internet speed 12Mbps

Router: Link 88Mbps, internet speed 147mbps

** Link speed is macOS network Tx Rate

** internet speed tested using google speed test

Options
2022-06-24 03:15:16

Hello @tpuser10 

Thank you for the test and sharing the results.  May I know did you test 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz Wi-Fi speed of router at the location where extender is being used?  RE105 is single band RE it can only receive 2.4Ghz wifi from router, thus I'd recommend checking the 2.4Ghz wifi speed. 

Can you share the photos speedtest result and link speed of RE/ Router ? What the firmware & hardware version of the RE. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 14

Views: 12660

Replies: 3

Related Articles