Deco M4R WiFi doens´t have internet but by cable yes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-16 19:47:35
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I bought 3 deco m4 and after the wifisetup it said no internet connection. If change it to AP mode I get connection by cable but not by WiFi. In Router mode I don´t have in both.

I tried to clone the MAC but it still not working.

The deco came with the version 1.0.0 and I updated it to 1.0.2 (M4R 4.0_en_1.0.2 Build 20220401 Rel. 35920_US_JP_EU_B4_up).
I tried to updated the system time but it is not posible and it is on 2022-04-01.

I got a log but I can´t upload it.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M4R WiFi doens´t have internet but by cable yes
2022-06-16 22:13:57

@Giuliano84 

Could you give us some more information on how you have set this up and what internet connection you have?  Are your using an ISP Router?  How have you connected this up?

No Internet on the Deco is usually a setting wrongly configured for how your internet ISP requires it, any details you can provide for us would help

Options
2022-06-17 05:21:05

@Philbert 

thanks for your replay.

I connect it to a router Fritz box cable 6360, this is an ISP router. The configuration of it Is different because only the first eth port is working, nothing more, no WiFi, I got it like this so I don't know why it is working like this. When I connect the my PC I get the ip 134.... and if I use the windows 10 share the internet option it works fine.

I connected the eth port 1 of the Deco to the router and port 2 to my computer.

I think I should configure it like a router and IP dynamically. With it I got no internet in any part.

if I set like an AP I got internet only in cable.

thanks for your help

Options
2022-06-17 06:57:35

@Giuliano84 

Hi, I googled from the internet, and is your Fritz box cable 6360 like this:

There are 4*LAN ports on the Fritz box and do you mean only LAN 1 is able to provide internet access for a third-party router?

I see the Fritz box cable 6360 is actually a wireless modem-router combo, it should have more than one working LAN ports and also the wireless connection. Have you made any changes to the Friz box before?

Before using M4, do you connect the previous router in the same way?

By the way, with the PC plugged into the same port from the Fritz box, you could get IP 134. xxx, how about Deco M4 via Dynamic IP?

Have you done any broadband connection on the PC, like PPPoE before?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-17 15:32:33

@Giuliano84 

Hey

Looking at the fritz box manual it appear to just be a standard router so nothing fancy here, what is the entire IP address you get when connected directly to the fritz box?   I am hoping its something like 192.168.1.132 or whatever.. if so then yeah its in Router mode so you need the Deco in AUTO mode for internet.  

When you connect to your Deco what IP address do you get?  again the full one will help.. I'm hoping its 192.168.68.xxx  basically something on the 68 range indicating that the deco is your gateway.    What status is the deco app showing for you?

Options
2022-06-17 17:05:30

@Philbert @David-TP

I just moved to this apartment and got it with this router and with this configuration, only the lan port 1 is able to provide internet access and no wifi.

I just moved the Deco from AP mode to Router mode and it works now.

Before in AP mode I had IP in the Mobile 134.101.242.183 and PC 134.101.242.182 and only internet access in the PC by cable. The Deco App showed the Internet image with red circle and an exclamation. And the led was red.

In Router mode before the led was red too but I don´t know the IP, I change it now to get the ips and it starts to work, the IP now is 192.168.68.100.

For information: Before I tried with a tp link switch TL-SG105E connected the internet cable in lan port 1 and I got internet in all other 4 lan ports.

If I found why it starts to work now I let you know.

Thank you for your help. 

Options
2022-06-17 21:51:35 - last edited 2022-06-17 21:54:04

@Giuliano84 

Hey

I know why you couldn't get it working and hopefully should be able to explain it to you

The address you get starting 134.x.x.x  is the WAN address, namely the address of your internet connection to the outside world.  This can only be used on ONE device therefore when you connected your PC to this, the PC got that address and was able to communicate online.   This indicates the device your ISP gave you is not setup as a router, rather as a MODEM.  

This 'single use' address (134.x.x.x) is the case with all internet users, and to overcome the problem of connecting multiple devices to the internet connection we use a thing called a ROUTER, that is why this started working when you switched over to ROUTER mode on the Deco.

The Router give out addresses to any device connected to it starting either   10.x.x.x  172.16.x.x  or 192.168.x.x  Deco using the last one for example.  These are what is known as PRIVATE IP ADDRESSES, basically they cannot be used over the internet.. only in your house / business.

So the Deco Router takes the first address for itself, in your case it will be 192.168.68.1   and gives your devices the other addresses, lets say   192.168.1.2   3   and 4 

When devices want to connect to the internet, they ask the Deco Router (x.x.x.1) to request the webpage on its behalf.  The router uses the modem to connect online and pull the website down.   Once it receives the data for the website, it then "routes" the data to whoever asked for it.   As there is only 1 router using the "WAN address" then its sort of a middle man.   Hope that makes sense?

In short, when you enabled Router mode you asked the Deco to act as a middle man for every device to use. 

The reason the switch ( TL-SG105E ) didnt work is the same, only 1 WAN address is available for use so it needs to be a router.    A switch will connect to a router to give more ports for the private addresses, not the internet addresses. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 638

Replies: 6

Related Articles