Parental Controls get reset

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-21 22:27:46 - last edited 2022-06-23 06:56:45
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730

I've setup Parental Controls profiles for all of my kids.

I add the appropriate MAC addresses to each of the profiles, and they work great.

Until one day, those profiles no longer have any devices assigned to them.

It can be a day, a week, a month.  I just know that one day, those profiles will once again be empty.

Then, my kids are watching TV until all hours of the night.

So, Parental Controls don't work on this router.

Let me clarify.. they work while the configuration remains intact, but then the configuration resets and it no longer does work.

I then have to go through all of my kids' devices again, to obtain all the MAC addresses and reconfigure everything (takes an hour; if I remember all of the devices).

While we're at it, the list of MAC addresses isn't always complete, when assigning them to the profiles.

Refreshing it may or may not cause the device which is most definitely already attached to the network to appear on the list.

In some cases, you have to be actively using the device (aka: buffering data), in order for it to show up on the list.

So, beyond having to search for the MAC addresses, I also have to fiddle with them showing up on the list.

Any thoughts?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Parental Controls get reset
2022-06-22 00:46:13 - last edited 2022-06-22 03:51:19

@Oyz 

Check if your kids' devices are using a private MAC addresses - this may cause a similar symptoms. Here more on that matter.

This could happen as well if you have some range extenders in your network.

In Proxy Mode they will replace the device's MAC address with a virtual one - here more details on that.

For the purpose of troubleshooting such kind of issue it would be better to describe your network infrastructure.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-06-22 02:22:03

@terziyski thank you for your reply. This is unlikely, as every single device gets removed without me prompting. I'm talking about iPhone, TV, PS4, Amazon Echo, etc..  It's unlikely that every one of those devices would be implementing private MAC addresses.  I do have multiple access points at home though. Is it possible that if they roam to a different access point, the router gets confused?  I might give that a shot as a test one of these days. The profiles are empty now anyways, so no harm in trying a few, I guess. 

Options
2022-06-24 11:50:15

@Oyz 

Can you please confirm if you have ever shared the router login password with anyone else? The owner of the devices that you tried to limit its internet access? I would suggest you change the login password and monitor this again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 342

Replies: 3

Related Articles