Global Access Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Global Access Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Global Access Control
Global Access Control
2022-06-24 14:01:42 - last edited 2022-07-20 09:38:36
Tags: #Parental Control #access
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Dear Support,

Please allow me to indicate that the parental controls work in certain cases, and based on the fact that it IS a parental control there are loopholes in your AX11000 System.

The Problem:

If I want to block everyone from using certain apps or websites it's easy as I can go to every single computer and block it using the parental controls. That means, assign a name to the parental control, then assign one or multiple computers (ip/MAC/doesn't matter), then block whatever is needed. 

Suppose now a new device is introduced, shared, or given to one of the members of the household and access the router in a legal way.

The new device added to the network is NOT in parental controls and if this is a tablet the administrator will never know who connected and how it got connected.

Thus this is a loophole to avoid the parental control and avoid apps and websites that we want to block in a global way.

We need a solution!

I really don't want to start trying routers, but all of us need a solution to the indicated problem above.

What everyone needs is a global restriction mode for apps and websites, this one is the first check and if it is blocked then nobody will be able to access it (TikTok, YouTube, etc).

The feature could be available on either the web, mobile, or both. 

The global restriction mode will block apps or websites no matter who enters the network.

Not only this will block apps or websites, but reduces a lot of viruses, and fends-off any intrusers in a simpler way.

TP-Link already has the software ready in the parental control, and a global restriction mode should not be as hard as a new implementation.

Best Regards,

jmiguez

Options
2 Reply
Re:Global Access Control
2022-06-24 22:04:36

@jmiguez 

The new device added to the network is NOT in parental controls and if this is a tablet the administrator will never know who connected and how it got connected.

Just my thoughts on this, but if security of your network/router is the main concern here.. how can a device be connected to the network without you knowing about it?   Should you not be controlling who has access to the WiFi Passkey?    If people can randomly connect stuff to the SSID, parental controls is the least of your concerns..

Also bear in mind this is a home grade device, global blacklists, ACL rules, App controls etc may be more geared to business grade solutions.   90% of home users wont need that stuff on their router.

Options
Re:Global Access Control
2022-07-01 03:31:00

@Philbert The original email doesn't concern  the security of the router, it is a basic feature that regular home grade routers may add, and concerns really the security of  the internal network. I would like to block all users from certain Chinese websites, from TikTok, from p0rn0graphic websites, and other webpages where malicious virus and potential phishing may hide. Therefore a simple application would be the removal of the IP and/or the website in a global zone and NOT in parental control. Recently my kid acquired a new smartphone, connected it to the network and voila, the whole thing is opened for him. Also friends that connect temporarily to the network may be subjected to the same issues. Hope you understand the use case better.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 351

Replies: 2

Related Articles