UE200 v2 USB Ethernet adapter not connecting automatically after reboot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-27 10:14:12 - last edited 2022-08-19 02:48:03
Tags: #troubleshooting
Model: UE200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have a TP-Link UE200 V2 USB Ethernet adapter. I have a Windows 7 SP1 (64bit) machine that I tried this on. The problem is that while it is connected and the machine reboots, it does not connect automatically. The only remedy is that I have to disconnect the device physically from the USB port and reconnect again to get it working.

So far I tried:

- Turning off wifi and LAN device from Device manager
- Different USB ports
- Installing drivers for Windows 7
- Disabling and reenabling the device from Device manager
- With or without USB hub

Nothing above worked. I have a cheap USB Ethernet adapter from another brand, which connects without needing any driver install and can connect automatically upon reboot without extra steps. So I assume TP-Link's should connect also as it is pricier and from a known company. Although I am not sure if my unit is faulty or something.

I tried it on Arch Linux as well. Same issue there, doesn't connect after reboot. I tried modeswitch solution from < unix(dot)stackexchange(dot)com/a/689546 >, but it didn't work. One thing I noticed is that "lsusb" command returns nothing after reboot. Even "ip a" doesn't show any interface for the device. But lsusb returns "Bus 001 Device 011: ID 2357:0602 TP-Link USB 10/100 LAN" and ip a returns "2: enp0s26u1u1u4c2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000" after disconnecting and then connecting it again.

I tried running both "/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -v 2357 -p 0600 -R" and "/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -v 2357 -p 0602 -R" with no success. I suspect it will not work, since the device is not appearing on lsusb output after reboot.

I'm not sure what's wrong. Please let me know what I can do to solve this.

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:UE200 v2 USB Ethernet adapter not connecting automatically after reboot-Solution
2022-07-29 03:50:58 - last edited 2022-08-19 02:45:22

The issue just got solved!

TP-Link Technical Support Engineer and RD team connected to my computer and changed a setting in the UE200v2 device in a remote session. Now it is automatically connecting on restart both on Windows 7 and Arch Linux. The setting change was done by their own tool, so anyone else having the problem would have to contact support to get it solved. Although it would be nice if users can fix it themselves. But for now I'm happy that it got solved.

From what I understand after testing briefly, due to the change that has been made, having the driver installed is required in order for it to work. I'll have to test more to confirm it though.

Thanks to @Solla and all the people for making the fix possible. I requested an email with details of what was changed and instructions on how to use it from now on. Maybe it will clear up more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:UE200 v2 USB Ethernet adapter not connecting automatically after reboot
2022-06-30 15:27:08

Hello @adnn7 

If adapter does not reconnect after reboot,please check the power management settings on Network adapter 

Adapter Properties settings>Uncheck the ‘ Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option 

Here is a guide online for reference.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/networking/power-management-on-network-adapter

Options
2022-07-04 10:11:03

Hi  @Solla-topee 

Thanks for your response.

I first tried with the Device manager. Right clicked TP-Link adapter, chose Properties, then Power Management, unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", then OK.

Did a restart, but it didn't connect automatically.

Then tried with regedit:

Went to regedit and navigated to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\"

Then right clicked TP-Link adapter from Device manager, went to Properties -> Details, selected Driver key on dropdown. It showed "{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\0023". So chosen to enter 0023 folder on regedit. There double clicked "PNPCapabilities". It showed "18" as value. Changed it to "24", clicked OK, then File -> Exit.

Did a restart. Same result.

I have Enabled Wake on LAN from BIOS and it's set on Battery and AC. Still not connecting after reboot.

I tried to follow the instructions as much as I could. Please let me know if I did anything wrong or if I can try anything else.

Thanks.

Options
2022-07-04 10:20:27 - last edited 2022-07-05 03:11:39

@adnn7 Thank you more case details.

To check if the adapter hardware is still recognized, after reboot your computer, double check if is UE200 still listed in the Device manager

If it is still there,  double click on it and check adapter status. Does it say the adapter working properly? What is the error message on the Wifi network after PC reboot? 

To look into that fuether, please  share a photo of the Windows OS and motherboard information as guide here & And share a photo of the driver date, thank you 

It is also check recommended checking the Motherboard board specification and see if there are any settings that could affect the USB port. 

How to check driver version of TP-Link adapters and system information of your computer

Options
2022-07-05 12:33:53

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for helping me in this.

In the meanwhile I visited offices of TP-Link importers in my country. They tried a new unit of UE200 on the same machine and the issue was still there. Strangely enough UE200 works on other Windows 7 devices after restart. The issue happens only on my device. But strangely, usb Ethernet adapters from other brands are working without issues on my laptop. I own a "Gigabit" brand USB3.0 10/100/1000M USB Ethernet adapter which has a similar chipset (probably RTL8153 / RTL8153B) and it works on restart on this machine.

> To check if the adapter hardware is still recognized, after reboot your computer, double check if is UE200 still listed in the Device manager?
> If it is still there,  double click on it and check adapter status. Does it say the adapter working properly?

After restart, Device manager does not show any TP-Link item under networking.

After I physically remove and reattach it to USB port it shows up.

> What is the error message on the Wifi network after PC reboot?

Sorry I don't understand what Wifi message you are referring to. The device is USB to RJ45. And to my knowledge there aren't any messages. It is just not being detected and the icon on system tray is showing a red cross upon restart. I have built in wifi and lan disabled from device manager so that they don't interfere with testing (as far as I remember it was also suggested by a TP-Link FAQ).

> To look into that fuether, please  share a photo of the Windows OS and motherboard information as guide here & And share a photo of the driver date, thank you
> It is also check recommended checking the Motherboard board specification and see if there are any settings that could affect the USB port.

The laptop is ThinkPad x201i with i3 CPU. Driver file name was "Install_USB_Win7_7061.20_12232021.zip" and I was pointed to it via TP-Link's official website.

Options
2022-07-13 16:58:09 - last edited 2022-07-13 16:58:52

Didn't get any progress on Windows 7.

Forgot to mention, on a Arch Linux x86_64 install, I tried:

1. without driver first,
2. then tried "r8152-dkms" from AUR,
3. then uninstalled "r8152-dkms" and installed driver (r8152-2.16.1.tar.bz2) like this:

$ sudo pacman -S linux-headers usb_modeswitch
$ tar -xvf r8152-2.16.1.tar.bz2
$ cd 'r8152-2.16.1'
$ sudo make all
$ sudo make install_rules
$ sudo depmod -a
$ sudo mkinitcpio -p linux
$ sudo reboot

I can't seem to post output here. Anything with / in it and it says "Content or title contains illegal external links." for some reason. If anyone is interested, output is available here: https :// bin.0xfc (dot) de (slash) ? f8f7dcf897189f83 # EVxpL1zG6r5kMaeFoLAGrxhYWPVqq3bdokyq2bF5Vvk4

Not sure about the SSL errors on "sudo make all". There is nothing about this on the ReadMe.txt file. If this is important, please let me know if the error can be avoided.

Result is still the same. No automatic connection on reboot while it is connected to USB. Have to disconnect from USB port physically and reconnect to get connected.

Options
2022-07-15 12:39:38

Hello  @adnn7 

Sorry for the late update, the Linux error may not help with issue met on Win7, to better assist with your case I create a support email and escalate your case. 

TKID220704342 please check your email inbox.

Options
2022-07-20 08:29:47

@Solla-topee 

> the Linux error may not help with issue met on Win7

I know, but I use Linux too. When buying the UE200 I checked for Linux support and the packaging said it supports it. So presented my efforts here. Sadly the issue is present both on Linux and Windows.

It probably suggests that the issue is not with Windows drivers or any drivers at all. Since the machine connected and re-connected at least 2 other USB Ethernet adapters, without drivers and BIOS settings changes after restart, I think the machine is capable of connecting and being connected on restart automatically. Personnel from importers office have tested these other devices themselves too and confirmed that those work on restart. Not sure why only UE200 causes this issue.

> please check your email inbox

Sorry, I can't see the email. I have sent you an alternate email on a private message. If you can check, that'd be helpful.

Options
2022-07-21 10:38:22

Hello @adnn7 

Glad to hear from you again,  I sent you the support email again to your email, please check if you have received email with' TKID220704342 ' in the title? Kindly check the inbox and do not forget the trash box or spam as well.  Have a nice day!

Options
Re:UE200 v2 USB Ethernet adapter not connecting automatically after reboot-Solution
2022-07-29 03:50:58 - last edited 2022-08-19 02:45:22

The issue just got solved!

TP-Link Technical Support Engineer and RD team connected to my computer and changed a setting in the UE200v2 device in a remote session. Now it is automatically connecting on restart both on Windows 7 and Arch Linux. The setting change was done by their own tool, so anyone else having the problem would have to contact support to get it solved. Although it would be nice if users can fix it themselves. But for now I'm happy that it got solved.

From what I understand after testing briefly, due to the change that has been made, having the driver installed is required in order for it to work. I'll have to test more to confirm it though.

Thanks to @Solla and all the people for making the fix possible. I requested an email with details of what was changed and instructions on how to use it from now on. Maybe it will clear up more details.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1875

Replies: 9

Tags

troubleshooting
Related Articles