X20 + switch vs X50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

X20 + switch vs X50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
X20 + switch vs X50
X20 + switch vs X50
2022-06-30 06:25:25
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I want to create a mesh network with Ethernet Backhaul in my house: router in the garage, 1x AP on the first floor (LAN from router), 1x AP on the second floor (LAN from router). I can only connect APs with router via LAN directly (all the cables go to the garage, I cannot connect 1st floor AP with 2nd floor AP). Deco X20 has only 2 Ethernet ports so I wonder which solution would be better - 3x X20 + unmanaged switch or 3x X50 (which has 3 Ethernet ports so I could create a star network without an additional switch). Can you advise me on that?

Options
3 Reply
Re:X20 + switch vs X50
2022-06-30 14:53:29 - last edited 2022-06-30 14:53:56

@KlimczakM 

Any configuration can work in AP mode: all Deco connected to router, all Deco connected to switch, hybrid where some Deco connected to switch and some directly to router. I have hybrid configuration at my house: one Deco connected directly to router and other two - through switch.

Choosing between X20 and X50, with what you described, I would recommend Deco X50. For the following two reasons:

1. Deco X50 is newer model, and it may provide faster WiFi if mobile device supports it. 

2. Not every networking switch is compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul, if you don't need switch with Deco X50 - that is preferred configuration.

--------------

Having answered your question, I have mine. If I understand you correctly, you plan to connect all three Deco to router. Routers usually have four Ethernet ports, so why do you need a switch with three Deco X20? 

Options
2022-06-30 20:55:52

@Alexandre. thank you for the answer. I want to connect 2 Decos' in AP mode to the 3rd Deco in router mode. There won't be more devices, just modem + 3x Deco.

Options
2022-07-01 01:19:11

KlimczakM wrote

@Alexandre. thank you for the answer. I want to connect 2 Decos' in AP mode to the 3rd Deco in router mode. There won't be more devices, just modem + 3x Deco.

@KlimczakM 

TP-Link has two modes for Deco mesh: Access Point or Router (default). I thought you were planning to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, but you meant something different.

"Translating" what you said to TP-Link terminology: "I want to connect 2 Satellite Decos to the Main Deco, with Deco mesh running in router mode."

My recommendation is still the same and for the same reasons I mentioned: go with Deco X50s.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3611

Replies: 3

Related Articles