5G SIM Mesh Router-Deco X80-5G

2022-07-01 10:04:02 - last edited 2022-10-28 07:02:32

With the popularity of the 5G broadband connection, TP-Link will release its first 5G Router---Deco X80-5G(EU) very soon. Equipped with the highest-level 5G technology, it’s designed for those who need a consistent high-speed connection when traditional wired broadband is slow, spotty, or unavailable. Also as a new member of the Deco family, Deco X80-5G inherits the advanced features from previous models, such as Mesh Wi-Fi 6, HomeShield, Amazon Alexa and Google Voice Assistant, etc.

We are here listing some frequently asked questions that you may be interested in, let me know if you want to know more.

1. When will X80-5G be available?
A: The availability is based on regions and please keep attention to the local official websites. And there might be some official distributors listed on the official websites(https://www.tp-link.com/where-to-buy/ ). It is also suggested to contact them for more details.

2. Is Deco X80-5G backward-compatible with 3G/4G? And what is the LTE Category supported by this model?
A: Yes, it supports WCDMA/4G/5G and for LTE, it supports up to CAT20 whose maximum download and upload speed is 2Gbps/200Mbps.

3. Does the Deco X80-5G supports 5G SA or NSA(Standalone or Non-standalone)?
A: Both SA and NSA are supported. 

4. What frequency bands are supported?
A: 5G: N1/N3/N5/N7/N8/N20/N28/N38/N40/N41/N77/N78/N79
    4G FDD-LTE: B1/B3/B5/B7/B8/B18/B19/B20/B26/B28
    4G TDD-LTE: B34/B38/B39/B40/B41/B42/B43
    WCMDA: B1/B5/B8

5. Does it support external antennas? What is the interface type and specification of the external antennas?
A: Both 4G/5G and Wi-Fi antennas are internal antennas, and there are two external antenna ports if users want to improve the mobile 5G signal strength.
Please note that the interface type of external 5G antennas should be SMA male and the supported mobile 5G bands are N41/N77/N78 whose frequency ranges are 2496-2690MHz & 3300-4200MHz.
For more details, please refer to this FAQ: How to install 5G external antennas on Deco X80-5G?  

6. What SIM card size does It take?
A: Nano Sim.

7. Is the SIM card locked to one mobile carrier only?
A: No, it also works with other mobile carriers as long as the network type and bands match with the product.

8. Can Deco X80-5G work with other Deco models?
A: Yes, please refer to this link: Can different Deco models work together?

9. Can it be put in 5G bridge mode, so I can connect my regular Wi-Fi router to it?
A: No, it supports 4G/5G router mode, wireless router, and access point mode. Since it is also a router, there is no need to use another one and if the wireless coverage is not enough, it is suggested to pick up one more Deco node to extend the Mesh range.

10. Is it portable and available for powering up via battery?
A: No, it only supports a DC power supply and needs to be plugged into a power socket.

Options
20 Reply
Re:5G SIM Mesh Router-Deco X80-5G
2022-09-30 11:26:53

@David-TP I've just bought the Deco X80-5G, hoping to replace my Netgear Nighthawk M5 5G Mobile Router. The advanced settings are extremely limited. No VPN Server or Client Support, but most-important there is no IP Passthrough/Modem Only Mode/Bridge Mode, so I am unable to use my current Ubiquiti Unifi Network effectively, using the X80-5G as a WAN Link whilst maintaining use of my Unifi Network. Swapping back to my mobile 5G Router, which supports IP Passthrough/Bridge Mode.

Also a shame that the dashboard/admin panel is extremely limited. The Router will probably be fine for your basic consumers as it is very plug and play and app driven, however for those who require more functionality then probably a no-go.

Is this a feature likely to be added? If not, I'll be returning the two units I have purchased. 

Options
2022-10-03 03:25:29

@tdavy 

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

As for the VPN server and request, I will check with engineers once they come before the holiday.

For the IP pass-through/ 5G modem only mode, personally I think It would be a waste for Deco X80-5G if it was on bridge mode.

5G Deco is still part of Deco whole Mesh family and the seamless roaming wireless network would still be its basic feature.

Thank you again.

Best regards.

Options
2022-10-03 08:26:00

@David-TP I think that's a matter of opinion. We have recently converted 3x of our offices to 5G, where there is already a 1-2 year old Ubiquiti network infrastructure in place (i.e. a router gateway, 6 security cameras, 10 PoE Access Points), the WAN was previously 4G via a Draytek Modem (which we are now back to using due to this issue). With 5G Offering much faster speeds in the area, we are able to upgrade the modems to offer greater speeds. Unfortunately with the TP-Link Deco X80-5G we are unable to use them unless we rip out the Ubiquiti infrastructure and switch it over, which wouldn't offer the same service (PoE hardwired AP's vs wireless Mesh, Multiple VLANs, and Security Cameras).

A lot of smaller businesses (mine included) are moving towards 4G/5G, and not having bridge mode on these Router/Mesh Unit's basically takes you out of the market. 5G Modem Routers are hard to come by due to a worldwide shortage in semiconductors and with the X80-5G being widely in stock and cheaper in cost vs competitors, you could likely monopolise the market before the curve!

We plan to purchase 4 or 5 more of these units, but failing to utilise them as modems will mean having to spend the bit extra and buy Microtik/Netgear M5/Robustel Modem Routers.

I hope you take my feedback into account.

Thanks

Toby

Options
2022-10-07 17:43:21

@David-TP Hello I have just raised a seperate thread regarding the below issues - hoping these can be addressed accordingly:

I have consolidated and added onto this thread as will allow us to track in a single place so happy for the others to be closed down.

- Custom DNS not Applying on Router

- Port Forwarding not working

Feature Requests/Suggested Improvements:

- Bridge Mode feature request

- VPN Server/Client feature request

- Configure in Browser

- Set Port Forwarding comma seperated strings/ranges feature request

- Most Recent Date/Time to be on page 1 in descending order (perhaps an ability to actually select this) [browser version].

-------

Regarding DNS Issue:

When setting a public DNS to DNS Settings (such as 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1) and tapping 'save', the DNS Settings do not save and the default carrier DNS is used.

I know that the carrier is not blocking this as I have been able to use the above DNS Servers using other 4G/5G Routers such as the TP Link MR600 and Netgear Nighthawk M5.

When checking the Settings in Browser, my DNS Appears as: (no longer the below as using EE non-static IP SIM)

Primary DNS:

109.249.185.228 (should be 1.1.1.1) or as configured

Secondary DNS:

109.249.185.229 (should be 1.0.0.1) or as configured

------

Regarding Port Forwarding Issue:

I am using the Deco App (wish I could use my browser), and although the app states a success port forward request, it is clear that it is not working.

Neither my Plex Server or ddns dashboard for my QNAP NAS are reachable from outside of my LAN.

In the app when I attempt to forward 32400 and 443 on IP 192.168.1.111, tap save, etc... the app shows 32400 and 443 forwarded on 192.168.0.111 and there is no way to change this. xxx.xxx.0.x is not in my DHCP IP Range; it is set to xxx.xxx.1.x - xxx.xxx.3.x, so I'm not sure why this is happening.

I have gone through the pages of logs (this would be better in most recent on page 1 so I don't have to go through 50 pages manually) and it does state the correct IP Address from what I can tell (xxx.xxx.1.111)

It appears that this 5G Modem Router needs some work; thought I'd feed this back, in addition to:

- Port Forwarding not working

- Bridge Mode feature request

- VPN Server/Client feature request

- Configure in Browser

- Set Port Forwarding comma seperated strings/ranges feature request

-  Most Recent Date/Time to be on page 1 in descending order (perhaps an ability to actually select this) [browser version].

I would love to be able to configure this router in a browser and not have to do everything using my smart phone.

Reverting to Draytek and will await an update.

Options
2022-10-11 18:28:24

@David-TP speed of the router is really good. Considerable improvement over my Huawei 5G.

However lack of OpenVPN option is really disappointing. Please add urgently otherwise might return device. 

Very limited settings menu. Please give us more optionality. 

Options
2022-12-05 11:32:06

@David-TP I have returned the 3 units I purchased due to lack of support or response to feature requests. Unable to deploy this device into an existing network is the biggest drawback due to lack of Bridge/IP Passthrough Mode. There is also lack of advanced features such as VLAN configuration, VPN Server/Client, and the Wireless Meshing appears to be unstable, with wired backhaul frequently causing interference requiring a reboot to resume stable connection.

Other than the above I'm sure the device will fit perfectly in the consumer-only market where end-user technical knowhow is extremely limited, but for those who require more control over their network then you'll likely be in the same situation as me.

I'll check back in a year or so and maybe this range will be fit for our small businesses.

Thanks

Options
2022-12-05 19:04:40

@tdavy been requesting for bridge mode on my MR600 too but well TP-Link doesn't seem to care. Felt cheated when I realised that they could have added it but decided not to.

Options
2022-12-05 20:20:27

@arktiknova come on TP-Link. You've got a good hardware, all you need to do is to adapt your software and listen to your customers. 

Options
2023-10-15 09:01:24

@David-TP 

when the x80 also have feature like x20

like we bought higher tier but the software lose some match with x20

Options
2023-10-15 14:03:04

@arktiknova

On your MR600 head to the IPTV settings, "enable", select "others", leave VLAN ID unselected and chose Bridge for the Connection Type.  You must also select the LAN port that is supporting Bridge mode.

Below is how this appears in the MR600  emulator - https://emulator.tp-link.com/mr600v2/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4383

Replies: 20

Related Articles