3G Mode - menu always overwrites manual APN settings after reboot or reconnect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-07-30 19:52:27
Region : Germany

Model : TD-W8970

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 130415 Rel.34164n

ISP : T-Mobile / O2

Hi,

after using the router a while as WAN-router I decided to retry the configuration for failover-mode.
I upgraded the newest firmware and wanted to setup the 3G-Backup-mode.
Because some providers have multiple APNs, I searched one APN for T-Mobile with public IP (which is internet.t-d1.de).
For that i had to activate the checkbox "Set the Dial Number, APN, Username and Password manually" under 3G Settings.
I set the config and saved everything. I tried a connect and it works.
Then i rebooted the router and checked the config again.
The router automatically sets the default apn for T-Mobile as given by factory-setup. (APN: internet.t-mobile, which is not public IP)
And when i try to change the config, the router rewrites the config while typing the new settings.
Moreover there is another problem, sometimes after rebooting the router or reconnecting the usb modem (Huawei E160, branded by Medion) the router doesn't detect the usb-modem (unknown device). I tested the router long time before with an O2-SIM and the same usb-modem with the factory firmware, at this time i didn't have such errors/symptoms.

Is there any solution, or maybe another newer firmware?

Regards
Thomas Windscheif
Options
7 Reply
Re:3G Mode - menu always overwrites manual APN settings after reboot or reconnect
2013-08-03 21:42:50
Hi, Thomas.
Normally, the 3G settings on the router will still be saved after it is rebooted.
Maybe you can test it by using another web browsers to login the web page of TD-W8970, configure 3G settings and then reboot the router through the web utility.

If still the same, you may take the router back to the shop where you buy this TD-W8970 and then have a test.
Options
same results after testing
2013-08-03 22:33:05
Hi alisa,

Thank you for your answer.
I tested the device like you told me to do:

Test with IE 9:

[*]Operation mode 3g
[*]3G Settings
[*]Router automatically chose Location "Germany" and Mobile ISP: "T-Mobile(Germany)".
[*]Pressed advanced button
[*]Activated "set the Dial Number, APN, Username and Passwort manually"
[*]Change field APN: to internet.t-d1.de
[*]Pressed save
[*]Choose reboot in System Tools
[*]Closed browser windows after successfull reboot
[*]Relogin into WebGUI
[*]Navigated to 3g-Settings, pressed advanced AND under APN there is internet.t-mobile set again.

Test with Firefox 22:

[*]3G Settings
[*]Router automatically chose Location "Germany" and Mobile ISP: "T-Mobile(Germany)".
[*]Pressed advanced button
[*]Activated "set the Dial Number, APN, Username and Passwort manually"
[*]Change field APN: tp internet.t-d1.de
[*]Pressed save
[*]Rebooted via System Tools
[*]And after reboot and relogin there is internet.t-mobile set again

After that i did a factory reset via WebGUI. Then a power reset (unplug the power cord and replug) and tried the above steps again
But unfortunately with same results

This overwriting only happens if the usb-modem is identified by the router, if not, the router reminds my configuration for APN.
Maybe there is automatic function in the router to take providers default config? Is there a way to disable this function?

And i'm the reseller, with other W8970's i had the same problem.

Regards,
Thomas Windscheif
Options
Re:3G Mode - menu always overwrites manual APN settings after reboot or reconnect
2013-08-05 16:26:12
As I know, it is not needed to reboot the device to make the settings take effect after changing the settings for TP-LINK ADSL products. Every time the 3G modem is re-identified, the APN will be changed back. When you reboot the device, the device needs to re-identify the 3G modem, this maybe the cause of your problem.
Options
Failover unuseable
2013-08-05 16:43:22
Hi kendle,

Thanks for your reply. But if this is the case, this router is unuseable for my purpose.
I know it is not needed to reboot the router, but unforntunately the router sometimes stops working so i have to reboot it.
And sometimes router itself reboots automatically if detecting an error. I don't won't to set the config every time and using another APN instead of the default is not so unusual.

Another question:
Is there an information page about 3G-Sigal-state somewhere in the routers'WebGUI?

Regards
Thomas Windscheif
Options
2013-08-15 08:43:29
Hi Thomas,
No information page about 3G-Signal-state in the routers' WEBGUI'.

TWindscheif wrote

Hi kendle,Thanks for your reply. But if this is the case, this router is unuseable for my purpose.I know it is not needed to reboot the router, but unforntunately the router sometimes stops working so i have to reboot it.
And sometimes router itself reboots automatically if detecting an error. I don't won't to set the config every time and using another APN instead of the default is not so unusual.

Another question:
Is there an information page about 3G-Sigal-state somewhere in the routers'WebGUI?

Regards
Thomas Windscheif
Options
Same Issue Faced
2013-11-12 23:01:33

TWindscheif wrote

Region : Germany

Model : TD-W8970

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 130415 Rel.34164n

ISP : T-Mobile / O2

Hi,

after using the router a while as WAN-router I decided to retry the configuration for failover-mode.
I upgraded the newest firmware and wanted to setup the 3G-Backup-mode.
Because some providers have multiple APNs, I searched one APN for T-Mobile with public IP (which is internet.t-d1.de).
For that i had to activate the checkbox "Set the Dial Number, APN, Username and Password manually" under 3G Settings.
I set the config and saved everything. I tried a connect and it works.
Then i rebooted the router and checked the config again.
The router automatically sets the default apn for T-Mobile as given by factory-setup. (APN: internet.t-mobile, which is not public IP)
And when i try to change the config, the router rewrites the config while typing the new settings.
Moreover there is another problem, sometimes after rebooting the router or reconnecting the usb modem (Huawei E160, branded by Medion) the router doesn't detect the usb-modem (unknown device). I tested the router long time before with an O2-SIM and the same usb-modem with the factory firmware, at this time i didn't have such errors/symptoms.

Is there any solution, or maybe another newer firmware?

Regards
Thomas Windscheif

I am facing the same issue here with the TD-W8970. It is a broken firmware of the TD-W8970 issue.
I am in Malaysia, and I want to use the Maxis_bb setting, but on reboot, the router always defaults to Maxis_unet.
I hope TP-LINK fixes this.
Options
2013-11-19 15:19:29
Now a new fimware has been published, maybe it can solve your issue.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TD-W8970&version=V1#tbl_j
Options