VPN client on AX55 - slow performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VPN client on AX55 - slow performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
35 Reply
Re:VPN client on AX55 - slow performance
2023-03-02 13:22:14

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z wrote

dinfo wrote

@Alpha_numbers 

- I have 2 routers, AX20 and AX55, both connected to the same modem via cable.

- I have created an OpenVPN Client connection using the same ovpn configuration file on both routers

- My internet line is a 50Mpbs

Testing the internet speed I have the following results:

OpenVPN disconeccted
Both routers reach around 41 Mbps

Open VPN connected

AX20: 40 Mbps

AX55:   6 Mbps................Yes! 6 Mbps maximum!

I';ve tried to factory reset AX55, using different configuration files, etc, etc, etc, BUT NO LUCK. When AX55 is connected as an OpenVPN Client to any surfshark server the internet speed drops from 41 down to 6 Mbps!!!!

What TP-Link has to say about this?? is this specific AX55 malfunctioning and I should claim a return-replacement??

Waiting... 

Hello @dinfo 

Archer AX55 has added support for WireGuard VPN, which I believe will speed up the VPN connection speed between the server and the client.

Please download and install the early release firmware we provided here in the following thread, then let me know if the VPN Client speed is better:

WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55

Hey @Kevin_Z after seeing above wiregaurd vpn firmware update post of yours I purchased ax55 instead of ax20 and did wiregaurd firmware update and checked all firmware but im disappointed because I didn't get any result after configuring Surfshark new York wiregaurd client I'm not able to access any website that too damn slow(loading not even able to do google search )please @Kevin_Z help me

Options
2023-03-03 07:11:38

Saliv wrote

Hey @Kevin_Z after seeing above wiregaurd vpn firmware update post of yours I purchased ax55 instead of ax20 and did wiregaurd firmware update and checked all firmware but im disappointed because I didn't get any result after configuring Surfshark new York wiregaurd client I'm not able to access any website that too damn slow(loading not even able to do google search )please @Kevin_Z help me

Hello @Saliv Thank you very much for bringing this up to our attention.

To address the issue and try to fix it, can you please confirm the below details?

1. How is the AX55 connected to the network? Is it the main gateway router? Is there a modem in front of it? Is the WAN IP address public or private?

2. Have you changed or modified the DNS servers on the AX55? What are the DNS servers on the computer when it is connected to the AX55?

3. You can try to manually change the DNS server under DHCP Server to 8.8.8.8 on the AX55, then reboot the router and check if you can access the internet properly when connecting to the SurfShark VPN Server.

Options
2023-03-03 08:02:10 - last edited 2023-03-03 08:03:14

Kevin_Z wrote

Saliv wrote

I did the same mistake, after I have bought already a AX20, believing that AX55 is a better router. Well, AX55 is indeed better than AX20, but not for VPN use. The reason for this is the CPU architecture of AX55, which does not allow it to connect properly to any VPN protocol. However AX20's CPU architecture is different and AX20 connects to OpenVPN and Wireguard servers without speed loss, at least noticable. 

As a conclusion, not all TP-Link routers are suitable for VPN use. And no one -yet- supports Wireguard. I bought the home/travel router GL.iNet BeryAX and for VPN use is a full-featured router. For home use I recommend the GL.iNet Flint (no mesh)

I did the same mistake, after I have bought already a AX20, believing that AX55 is a better router. Well, AX55 is indeed better than AX20, but not for VPN use. The reason for this is the CPU architecture of AX55, which does not allow it to connect properly to any VPN protocol. However AX20's CPU architecture is different and AX20 connects to OpenVPN and Wireguard servers without speed loss, at least noticable. 

As a conclusion, not all TP-Link routers are suitable for VPN use. And no one -yet- supports Wireguard. I bought the home/travel router GL.iNet BeryAX and for VPN use is a full-featured router. For home use I recommend the GL.iNet Flint (no mesh)

Hello @Saliv Thank you very much for bringing this up to our attention.

To address the issue and try to fix it, can you please confirm the below details?

1. How is the AX55 connected to the network? Is it the main gateway router? Is there a modem in front of it? Is the WAN IP address public or private?

2. Have you changed or modified the DNS servers on the AX55? What are the DNS servers on the computer when it is connected to the AX55?

3. You can try to manually change the DNS server under DHCP Server to 8.8.8.8 on the AX55, then reboot the router and check if you can access the internet properly when connecting to the SurfShark VPN Server.

@Kevin_Z 

Indeed by changing the DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 and DNS2 to 1.1.1.1 the speed is improved. (Advanced->Network->Internet-> manual DNS). But again, AX55 speed is disappointing. And more disappointing is that's not possible to correct it due to its CPU architecture. Perhaps a new firmware can bypass the CPU limitations. Will see...

Options
2023-03-04 18:19:34
The same problem with Archer AX55. Please fix it.
Options
2023-03-06 17:44:00

@Kevin_Z  my router is connected to GX Brand home gateway unit  modem through fiber patch cord before connecting to my ax55 through lan cable 

wan ip is public

before I didn't modify any dns after

even though I changed primary dns in dhcp server to 8.8.8.8 my speed didn't improve 

my dns server in computer is 192.168.0.1 

min router I modified to 8.8.8.8 

Options
2023-03-07 05:53:08

Saliv wrote

@Kevin_Z  my router is connected to GX Brand home gateway unit  modem through fiber patch cord before connecting to my ax55 through lan cable 

wan ip is public

even though I changed primary dns in dhcp server to 8.8.8.8 my speed didn't improve 

Hi @Saliv, thanks for getting back.

So I want to make sure again if the issue is the VPN Client speed is not as good as expected, or you cannot connect to the SurShark VPN server.

You may change the DNS server on the computer to obtain the DNS server address automatically instead of 192.168.0.1, then confirm again if you can connect to the SurfShark VPN server.

Options
2023-03-07 05:55:11

nasosto wrote

Hello @nasosto, what issue you're experiencing with the AX55 WireGuard VPN firmware? Are you unable to connect to the VPN server or the speed is not good?

You may describe the issue in detail, then we can suggest.

Options
2023-03-10 16:12:46
I can connect to the VPN (open vpn) but my speed is too slow unfortunately. From 30Mbps it drops to 10!
Options
2023-03-11 16:21:35

Kevin_Z wrote

Saliv wrote

wan ip is public

Hi @Saliv, thanks for getting back.

So I want to make sure again if the issue is the VPN Client speed is not as good as expected, or you cannot connect to the SurShark VPN server.

You may change the DNS server on the computer to obtain the DNS server address automatically instead of 192.168.0.1, then confirm again if you can connect to the SurfShark VPN server.

hey  @Kevin_Z 

yeah I can connect to both open vpn and wiregaurd but Openvpn speed is 6mbps and wiregaurd is not even opening any web  page 

Options
2023-03-11 16:33:07

Kevin_Z wrote

nasosto wrote

Hello @nasosto, what issue you're experiencing with the AX55 WireGuard VPN firmware? Are you unable to connect to the VPN server or the speed is not good?

You may describe the issue in detail, then we can suggest.

@Kevin_Z 

again and again the same meaningless questions. JUST FIX THE PROBLEM or just simply reply "the problem CANNOT be fixed", which is the most honest reply.

@ to all the others, just buy a router from GL.iNet.  

Options