QoS Not Working Correctly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-25 22:17:11
Model: Deco X20-4G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Hello, 

I have QoS Enabled with 50 download/20 upload to match the incoming connection from my ISP. I have a single "High Priority Device" set, which is an LG WebOS TV.

When I begin a download with my desktop computer, it uses all 50mbps of incoming bandwidth and very little bandwidth is leftover for the TV, which causes buffering. The Deco app reports the download usage of the desktop PC is only 25mbps, however it is 50mbps which I have confirmed multiple times by downloading file of specific size over measured time period. 

It is as if the Deco system believes it has throttled the desktop PC to 25mbps, however it has not. 

I have tried restarting Deco and the desktop PC. Have tried removing desktop PC from network and readding. Setting QoS bandwidth limits to 15/15 causes desktop PC to download at ~25-30mbps which is very odd. 

Does anyone have any solution to this issue? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:QoS Not Working Correctly
2022-07-26 03:22:12

@Tommo53 

Thank you very much for the feedback.

As for the speed rate showing on the Deco APP, it records the real-time network traffic and when you run a speed test, the test device actively sends plenty of packets to the test server in a short time. So basically one is the current download rate, and the other is the maximum download rate. 

For the Qos service, if the TV video streaming starts first, then you began downloading the files on PC, will you still see the desktop uses all the 50m/s?

Sometimes, when you start downing files on the PC, the data session has been established on the router already and hasn't expired yet.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-26 03:33:28 - last edited 2022-07-26 03:37:36

@David-TP Hi David, thanks for the reply.

"So basically one is the current download rate, and the other is the maximum download rate." 

Thanks I understand David. I am comparing the current download rate on the desktop to what is reported as the current download rate on the Deco App. I can be downloading from server at constant 50mbps, however it is reported as ~25mbps on the Deco App. My version of Deco app has a page where I can see live what the download and upload rate is of each device on the network. Hopefully we are talking about the same thing. 

If I do the sum of the values on the current download rate page on Deco App whilst using the network to its maximum, it should sum to 50. It only sums to ~30 as Deco App believes the download rate of the desktop is ~27mbps + 2 mbps for the High Priority Device. In reality the load on the network is 50mbps+ as the desktop is downloading at the maximum rate of the connection. I have confirmed this by downloading a file of known size in a measured period of time. I can recreate this incorrect value on the Deco App with this device. 

"For the Qos service, if the TV video streaming starts first, then you began downloading the files on PC, will you still see the desktop uses all the 50m/s?"

Yes correct, the TV is streaming first then a download starts, though it does not matter in which order I begin, the behavior is the same. At no point does the QoS begin to throttle the connection of the desktop. The Deco App reports the current download speed at 26mbps as if Deco has throttled the connection - but the desktop is actually downloading at 50mbps. 

"Sometimes, when you start downing files on the PC, the data session has been established on the router already and hasn't expired yet.

Thanks a lot."

Unfortunately David, the behaviour doesn't change with time. I have tried deleting the desktop as a known device on the Deco App and re connecting it without luck, or do you have a different suggestion? 

Options
2022-07-26 08:55:47 - last edited 2022-07-26 09:17:19

Hello @David-TP,

I have uploaded a video to show you simultaneously the difference between the download reported in the Deco app and the download speed of my Windows PC.

At the same time as this I was attempting to stream a 4k video which is struggling on the Chromecast device which has a star signifying a High Priority Device. 

TP Link Deco X20 QoS - YouTube

Please note the ~35mbps download rate reported on the Deco app and the >50mbps download rate reported by Windows PC. I believe the desktop should be throttled to the download rate reported by the Deco app, but it is not and continues to consume 50mbps+ which is causing the buffering issues on the High Priority Device.  

Regards,
Tom 

Options
2022-08-12 10:38:31
Hello, Lots of helpful assistance provided by TP Link support who assisted with troubleshooting. Solution as per below from TP LINK support is to disable IPv6: Currently, the QoS doesn't take effect when the device is using IPv6, based on the captures, when IPv6 is enabled and run speedtest from Launtel to Launtel, the speedtest traffic is through IPv6 as well, that is why the speedtest results is higher than QoS total bandwidth, while speedtest via Optus server only uses IPv4, so it is respected to the QoS settings.(Launtel should have multiple speedtest servers, some IPv4 and some IPv6; while Optus should be only IPv4, that is why the results are different when selecting different speedtest servers) So currently, I am afraid you will need to disable IPv6 on Deco or on your client devices to solve the problem. At the same time, we have reported this case to R&D engineer and product engineer, we will try to work on it to see if we could optimize the function and make it work for IPv6 as well, please pay attention to our website or Deco App, if there is any firmware update, you will be able to check and update.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 815

Replies: 4

Related Articles