How to Connect and Set up a TP-Link Router (or Third-party Router) to Starlink Internet

How to Connect and Set up a TP-Link Router (or Third-party Router) to Starlink Internet

2022-07-28 08:05:07 - last edited 2023-09-13 01:18:25

Starlink is quickly becoming one of the most popular internet providers due to its new technologies and widespread coverage. Because of these technologies, it is now possible for users to receive a usable and reliable network connection in rural areas where Internet coverage was previously scarce. As the technology continues to improve and more users begin to adopt the technology as an alternative to traditional ISPs, we would like to introduce how to use our TP-Link router or other third-party routers with Starlink, and expect more questions on the forum regarding how to set up the technology and the potential benefits of the technology for specific cases. 

If you need help connecting and configuring your TP-Link Router or other third-party routers to work with Starlink, this article may be able to help. This article introduces configuration methods, the applications behind the TP-Link Routers, and what models we recommend to use with Starlink.

We will only show you here how TP-Link routers work with Starlink, but the connection and setup are also applicable for other third-party routers.

How to Connect the TP-Link Router to Starlink

Please be aware that Starlink has launched two generations of hardware for home users. The Gen-1 Terminal (Round Dish) and the Gen-2 Terminal (Rectangular Dish). The main difference between the two versions is the removal of the Ethernet Jack. Please Use The Diagram Below to Determine the Version.
Note: With a Gen-2 Terminal, you must purchase an Ethernet Adapter from Starlink to Connect to the TP-Link router.

• Original Gen-1 Starlink Setup Process

The Original Terminal is a Round Dish with an Ethernet Jack. However, the original Starlink Router that comes with your system does not support Bypass Mode, so you must unplug the Starlink router if you want the TP-Link Router to work as the main Router. Please configure your network as follows:

Step 1: Unplug The Starlink Router by Disconnecting the Cable Connected to the Power Supply.

Step 2: Plug the Starlink PoE Adapter into the WAN port of the TP-Link Router.

Your Setup Should Be Similar to the Pic 1 of the Image Above.

• Gen-2 Starlink Setup Process

Unlike the Original Starlink Terminal, the Dish is Rectangular, and no PoE adapter is included. With a Gen-2 Terminal, you must purchase an Ethernet Adapter from Starlink to Connect to the TP-Link router.

After Connecting the Starlink Terminal to the Starlink Router:

Step 1: Connect the TP-Link Router’s WAN Port to the Starlink Ethernet Adapter.

Step 2: If you would like the TP-Link Router to be the main Router for the network, you can enable “Bypass Mode on the Starlink Gen-2 Via the Starlink Application.

Step 3: Please connect the TP-Link router’s WAN port to the Ethernet adapter, as the Pic 2 in the above diagram.

When enabling Bypass Mode, All Wireless Features will be disabled on the Starlink Terminal. A factory reset is required if you want to switch back to router mode.

How Do I Configure The TP-Link Router to Connect to Starlink Network?

All you need to do is selecting Dynamic IP as the WAN Connection Type on the TP-Link router. Access the TP-Link admin web UI (www.tplinkwifi.net), go to Advanced > Network > Internet page, and choose Dynamic IP.

How Do I Manage the Starlink Terminal When Removing the Starlink Router, or the Starlink Router is in Bypass Mode?

If the Starlink router is under Bypass Mode or has been removed, you may need to set up a static route on the TP-Link router; then, you can manage the Starlink terminal in the Starlink APP. Use these settings to establish a static route from the TP-Link Router’s UI.

Network destination: 192.168.100.0

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.100.1

Interface: WAN

How do I set up TP-Link if I want to keep both the Starlink and TP-Link Wi-Fi?

If you only wish to use the TP-Link Router to extend the Wi-Fi coverage of your existing network, you can set up the Starlink Router as the main Router and then place the TP-Link Router into Access Point (AP) Mode.

Please First Identify Which Starlink System You are Using (Gen-1 = Round Dish; Gen-2 = Rectangular)

• The Original Gen-1 Starlink User Terminal

For Gen-1 Starlink Terminal Users, you will want to keep the Starlink router as the main Router for the network and connect the TP-Link router’s WAN port to the AUX port of the Starlink Router. At this point, the TP-Link System can be switched to Access Point Mode, which avoids issues such as Double NAT.

• The Updated Gen-2 Starlink User Terminal

With updated Gen-2 Starlink products, the network map is the same as before. Connect the TP-Link Router’s WAN port to the ethernet adapter directly. Then make sure that Bypass Mode on the Starlink System is DISABLED, then change the TP-Link Router to Operate in Access Point Mode to avoid Double NAT.

Starlink doesn’t recommend using Starlink in a dual LAN system, so we recommend you change the operation mode to wireless access point mode.

What if I cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2?

If you failed to set up the internet when connecting an Archer AX6000 or AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2, please check the solutions below:

Cannot Access Internet when connecting to Starlink Gen 2

-------------------------------------------------
Have other issues to report?
Welcome to > Start a New Thread < and elaborate on the issue for assistance.

Options
30 Reply
Re:How to Connect and Set up a TP-Link Router to Starlink Internet
2022-08-13 18:39:13

@Kevin_Z 

Options
2022-09-12 20:47:05
okey
Options
2022-10-07 22:19:56

@3_15 Hi, I have been trying to get support to setup starlink gen2 with the tp link ax1800. I am ready to take it back for lack of support.

access mode is not what I have a high tech wifi6 router for....

i need help doing it right and getting my lan computers working properly and talking to each other and using the router for the things I bought it for, like security...

please help

don

Options
2022-10-08 02:48:19

dlbott wrote

@3_15 Hi, I have been trying to get support to setup starlink gen2 with the tp link ax1800. I am ready to take it back for lack of support.

access mode is not what I have a high tech wifi6 router for....

i need help doing it right and getting my lan computers working properly and talking to each other and using the router for the things I bought it for, like security...

please help

don

@dlbott 

Hello Don, when connecting the AX1800 to the Starlink Gen 2, please follow the steps in my original post of this thread, that you need to connect the AX1800

’s WAN Port to the Starlink Ethernet Adapter, enable “Bypass Mode on the Starlink Gen-2 Via the Starlink Application, then access the TP-Link admin web UI (www.tplinkwifi.net), go to Advanced > Network > Internet page, and choose Dynamic IP, you should be able to connect to the internet.

If still doesn't work, I would suggest contacting our tech support via Hotline, they will be happy to help configure the router:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
2022-11-09 16:45:38
's WAN Port to the Starlink Ethernet Adapter, enable “Bypass Mode on the Starlink Gen-2 Via the Starlink Application, then access the TP-Link admin web UI (www.tplinkwifi.net), go to Advanced > Network > Internet page, and choose Dynamic IP, you should be able to connect to the internet. So more details to contact on my site Loulouka Formula
Options
2022-11-11 04:53:36
TP link connected but internet not working with this device only. Other devices are functioning properly
Options
2022-11-16 14:18:45

@Psg.2022 

WAN Port to the Starlink Ethernet Adapter, enable “Bypass Mode on the Starlink Gen-2 Via the Starlink Application, then access the TP-Link admin web UI (www.tplinkwifi.net), go to Advanced > Network > Internet page, and choose Dynamic IP, you should be able to connect to the internet.

With a Gen-2 Terminal, you must purchase an Ethernet Adapter from Starlink to Connect to the TP-Link router.

For more details visit this smartelectrohub

Options
2022-12-05 08:04:10

Although the TP link is connected, only this device can't access the internet. Other gadgets are working fine.

Options
2022-12-05 11:33:35

@AlexaLeffler 

Is there an issue with the TP-Link router and Starlink? What is the model of the TP-Link router?

Options
Re:How to Connect and Set up a TP-Link Router (or Third-party Router) to Starlink Internet
2022-12-10 14:27:46 - last edited 2022-12-10 14:31:14

@Kevin_Z 

I have an Archer AX50 (AX3000) and have the same issue, it keeps dropping the internet connection from Starlink.  I have tried setting the internet negotiation speed to 100 Mbps full duplex, still not working reliably. 

I can get it to work if I install a switch between the Starlink and AX50 but this isn't a great solution.

Is there a solution for the Archer AX50?

Options

Information

Helpful: 14

Views: 40421

Replies: 30