Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2

Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2

2022-06-21 08:18:58 - last edited 2023-04-06 06:14:47

This Article Applies to:

Archer AX6000 V1
Archer AX11000 V1
Archer AX90 V1
Archer GX90 V1
Archer AX3200 V1

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

Starlink Gen 2 system generally includes a Starlink Terminal, a Starlink router, and an Ethernet adapter. This Ethernet adapter will give you the ability to hard-wire the system and use non Starlink equipment with the system, and it is a must when connecting a non-Starlink router. However, SpaceX/Starlink doesn't guarantee performance with a non-Starlink router, the FAQ notes:

If you want to connect our TP-Link router like Archer AX6000/AX11000 to the Starlink Gen 2 system but unfortunately fail to connect to the internet, please go through this article to figure it out.

Available Solutions:

Solution 1

For Archer AX11000/AX6000

Upgrade and install the below beta firmware on the Archer AX11000/AX6000, then connect the WAN/Internet port to the Starlink Ethernet adapter to observe if the internet works. Download and unzip the firmware file, then you will see the “.bin” firmware file, launch a web browser and go to the Advanced > System Tools > Firmware Upgrade page to upload the firmware file:

Archer AX11000_V1.0_221209 (Updated on Dec 12, 2022)
Archer AX6000_V1.0_230303 (Updated on Mar 15, 2023)

Note:

1. Please be sure you have read the Terms and Conditions for TP-Link Beta Firmware before proceeding!
2. This beta version can be applied to the EU and US versions.

For Archer AX90/GX90/AX3200

Step 1 Connect the Starlink Gen 2 Ethernet Adapter to the 1 Gbps WAN/LAN Port on the Archer AX90/GX90/AX3200 instead of the 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN Port, then check if the internet will work.

Step 2 Visit http://tplinkwifi.net and log into the web GUI of the router, go to Internet, and select 1 Gbps WAN/LAN as the WAN/Internet port.

Note: The 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port and 1 Gbps WAN/LAN port cannot be used as the WAN port at the same time. Once we choose to use the 1 Gbps WAN/LAN port as the WAN port for internet service, the 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port will be used as the LAN port by default.

Solution 2

Try modifying the Internet Negotiation Speed to 100 Mbps Full Duplex, then save and reboot the system to determine if the internet works.

For Archer AX6000, go to Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters page, scroll down to the bottom of the page, you see find Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting, change it to 100 Mbps Full Duplex:

For Archer AX11000, go to Advanced > Network > Internet page, scroll down to the bottom of the page, you see find Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting, change it to 100 Mbps Full Duplex:

Solution 3

If you happen to have a network switch, try to plug the switch between the Starlink Ethernet Adapter and the Archer AX6000/AX11000 WAN, that is Starlink router --- Ethernet Adapter --- Switch --- Archer AX6000/AX11000, then confirm if the internet works.

Feel free to comment below whether the issue gets fixed with the above solutions. We will also investigate further and update the thread when there is a final solution, welcome to subscribe!

More Articles:
How to Connect and Set up a TP-Link Router to Starlink Internet

-------------------------------------------------

Have other off-topic issues to report?
Welcome to > Start a New Thread < and elaborate on the issue for assistance.

Options
62 Reply
Re:Cannot Access Internet when connecting to Starlink Gen 2
2022-07-18 21:47:07

@Kevin_Z Hi Kevin, any update about Archer AX11000 working at its top capacity with Starlink gen 2?

Options
2022-07-18 21:49:35
I tried solution 3, but it didn't work. The result were the same.
Options
2022-07-19 01:38:48

David_FlorX wrote

I tried solution 3, but it didn't work. The result were the same.

@David_FlorX Do you mean the internet still doesn't work when you add a gigabit switch between the Starlink Ethernet adapter and the AX6000? Do you have internet access if you plug the Starlink adapter into a computer directly? If still no internet, I would suggest connecting Starlink to troubleshoot the connection first and ensure there is an internet connection coming from the Starlink terminal.

Please let me know if you can make the Archer AX11000 work or not.

Options
2022-07-23 02:45:08

@Kevin_Z Thank you for reaching out. The Archer AX11000 it is working with solution 2, changing to full duplex to 100M, but for some reason the wireless signal is not as strong as before. Any idea why is that?

Options
2022-07-25 06:45:01

David_FlorX wrote

@Kevin_Z Thank you for reaching out. The Archer AX11000 it is working with solution 2, changing to full duplex to 100M, but for some reason the wireless signal is not as strong as before. Any idea why is that?

@David_FlorX How did you compare the wireless signal? Compare the signal before and after the AX11000 connecting to the Starlink Gen 2 network? Which signal becomes weaker, 2.4G or 5G? When modifying the Negotiation Speed for the WAN port, I assume it won't affect the wireless signal. You may run a Wi-Fi analyzer to review the wireless signal around you, and determine if there are too many interference, then you can choose a channel with less interference to confirm if the signal becomes better.

Options
Re:Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2?
2022-07-29 02:19:39 - last edited 2022-07-29 02:20:10

Solution two solved my problem

Options
Re:Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2?
2022-08-11 20:37:38

@Kevin_Z 

"Solution" 3 works for me, in fact I reported the workaround way back on 6/21.  Problem is it is no solution at all, it is a band aid, a work around.  Imagine going to a car dealership, buying a brand new sports car, and then being told you have to go buy a truck to tow it in order for it to work.  That's effectively what solution 3 does.  Solution 2 is also pretty lame because it says "hey yeah we know you bought this brand new sports car, but we're gonna take out the v8 and put in a 4 cyclinder in order to make it work.  Enjoy!"

That only leaves me with being able to try solution 1, which is BETA firmware.  That doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings when I work from home and need my systems to be reliable.

Options
2022-08-11 21:50:40

@Kevin_Z 

OK so I just took the time to try the firmware update, and I seriously wish I hadn't.

The update went well enough but I immediately noticed that it completely killed LAN port 1 on the router.  Nothing I plug into it now will obtain an IP address, despite it showing a link.  The update ALMOST fixed the original issue as it allows the system to talk directly to Starlink, kinda.  It will obtain an IP address and DNS entries but it does not actually work.  I guess that's not entirely true, it will got to exactly ONE website, www.google.com.  Any other website I try fails to function.  If I swap the connection speed manually to 100mbps it works fine, but autonegotiate or 1000mbps will only go to Google.

Finding this "solution" completely un-acceptable I downloaded the original firmware I was running and downgraded back to that and configured my physical connections the way I had them.  Everything works just fine EXCEPT FOR LAN PORT 1.

2 months into ownership I still have a router that not only does not work without another piece of hardware, it is now crippled with a damaged port.  To say that this is un-acceptable is an understatement.

Options
2022-08-12 01:30:11

@TNStarlink 

Sorry to hear that.

So you are running the latest official firmware on the AX11000 now? When connecting a computer to the LAN 1 port, is there no internet at all? Does the computer get a valid IP address from LAN 1?

Regarding the beta firmware, did you install the beta firmware, and then connect the Starlink adapter to the LAN 1 port? If that was the case, there should be internet access.

To assist and figure it out efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up. Thank you.

Options
2022-08-12 13:40:09

@Kevin_Z 

Upon investigating this morning I have found 2 potential problems:

1.  First one is on me and I will completely take the blame for it.  I seem to have overlooked the part where after the firmware update I should use LAN 1 as the WAN port.  That would explain why my LAN 1 port quit working properly after the firmware update.  However, again this is NOT A SOLUTION this is a band-aid.  I bought a router with a built in 8 PORT SWITCH, having to use one of the LAN ports in place of the LAN port is absolutely no better than having to use a 3rd party switch in between it and Starlink.

2.  This one is completely on you guys.  Before I upgraded to the BETA firmware I looked at the router management interface and it said that I had an AX11000 VERSION 1.  This morning I looked at the physical sticker on the bottom of the device and it says Version 1.6.  So I essentially I'm lucky that the entire router isn't a brick right now.  After work today I will attempt to flash it back with the 1.6 firmware in hopes that it will regain LAN 1 functionality.

Options

Information

Helpful: 10

Views: 10803

Replies: 63