Deco X73 DSL and configuring IPV6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-02 01:26:19
Tags: #IPv6
Model: Deco X73-DSL  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Hi

I have recently replaced a NetGear DM200 modem with the Deco X73-DSL.  I have got thing mostly working, and want to tackle a few optimisation steps I previously had setup...this thread is specifically for IPV6:

Note: The web interface seems extremely limited (to the point of being useless?), so I'm trying to configure using the android application.

My ISP is Internode in Australia, and that have IPv6 settings defined here:

HTTPS link (not allowed to put actual links in this post, so rough path): www internode on net / support / guides / internet_access / ipv6 /

They use a native 'dual-stack' IPv4 and IPv6.  This gives me:

• Existing IPv4 address (if static) and any existing framed route(s)
  • A dynamic /64 IPv6 prefix for the PPP session
  • A static /56 IPv6 prefix for the LAN (if you are using a router with Prefix Delegation)

So, I have a delegated static /56 IPv6 prefix for the LAN along the lines of XXXX:XXXX:XXX:XXXX

Questions:

• I cannot find anywhere in the user interface where I can make use of that prefix? I presume it needs to be entered somewhere?
  • The app allows the turning on/off of Prefix Delegation - when this is turned on, it makes my network crawl...when off, the network is fine, but not using IPv6. Should this be on/off?
  • For the connection Type, I'm using PPPoE (as I have FTTN NBN). Presume that is correct?
  • I have 'Use Same Account as IPv4' enabled - again, assume correct as only have one account, etc.
  • 'Get IPv6 Address' - set to Auto -> seems correct as dynamic? I wondered about static due to the LAN prefix, but don't think it should be here?
  • 'Obtain DNS Automatically' -> ATM this is on (until I get it working). I will change to use CloudFlare: anyone else done this OK?
  • DNS - it does not look like we can configure encryption, and have to do so on individual devices?
  • 'Assigned Type' - set to DHCPv6 - not sure on these options at all! Any guidance would be great!

As a related query, I'm sure I originally configure the DNS servers for IPv4 to use Cloudflare, but cannot find a way to edit them in the app when I look now?! It all seems uneditable and using the ISP assigned DNS servers?

Any assistance/answers to these questions would be great so I can narrow my focus.

Cheers

Paul

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X73 DSL and configuring IPV6
2022-08-04 09:47:33

@ScoobyDownUnder 

Thanks for your time and patience.

Here is some information for your reference:

• I cannot find anywhere in the user interface where I can make use of that prefix? I presume it needs to be entered somewhere?

A: the ISP static /56 IPv6 prefix will be automatically assigned to the clients and Deco will delegate the rest of the /64 IPV6 addresses. You don't need to manually enter it.

• The app allows the turning on/off of Prefix Delegation - when this is turned on, it makes my network crawl...when off, the network is fine, but not using IPv6. Should this be on/off?

A: It should be on. Here "it makes my network crawl", Do you mean the network speed is very slow?

• For the connection Type, I'm using PPPoE (as I have FTTN NBN). Presume that is correct?
  • I have 'Use Same Account as IPv4' enabled - again, assume correct as only have one account, etc.

A: I think it should be PPPOE as well and it would better if you could confirm with Internode again.

• 'Get IPv6 Address' - set to Auto -> seems correct as dynamic? I wondered about static due to the LAN prefix, but don't think it should be here?

A: Yes

• 'Obtain DNS Automatically' -> ATM this is on (until I get it working). I will change to use CloudFlare: anyone else done this OK?

A: I did not need similar feedback before and les's wait for other users' feedback.

• DNS - it does not look like we can configure encryption, and have to do so on individual devices?

A: It did not support encrypted DNS

• 'Assigned Type' - set to DHCPv6 - not sure on these options at all! Any guidance would be great!

A: if there is no special notification from Internode, it is suggested to leave it is DHCPv6.

As a related query, I'm sure I originally configure the DNS servers for IPv4 to use Cloudflare, but cannot find a way to edit them in the app when I look now?! It all seems uneditable and using the ISP assigned DNS servers?

A: When "Obtain DNS Automatically" is turned off, you will be able to customize your own DNS server.

Options
2022-08-04 22:53:12

@David-TP 

Thanks for replying and providing some clarity/confirmation

• Crawl - yes, slow presume because it tries via IPv6 and fallsback to IPv4 when it has issues
  • Prefix delegation - yes, I came to the conclusion this was not optional, but required - it just seems to be the factor that makes my connections slow

WAN and LAN addressing - Internode states:

Your IPv6 Access Device/router should assign /64 subnets to its interfaces after it obtains a DHCPv6 PD lease. It should then offer the prefix to your hosts via IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration. In more complicated set-ups, you may choose to use DHCPv6 as well.

This is where I cycled through various settings for WAN (Get IPv6 Address) and LAN (Assigned Type) in an attempt to match that statement.

I'd also read that Android devices do not support DHCPv6 (or at least properly), so if I'm using the Android app to manage things, it might explain some problems I'm having?

One of the things I have learnt is to give it all time to settle and adjust before testing - and have been checking on my windows 11 laptop via ipconfig to see the address assignments, releasing and renewing.

I feel like it is so close, but just not there

Cheers

Paul

Options
2022-08-07 23:23:15

@ScoobyDownUnder As I continue to battle with getting IPv6 working, a potentially key item I have noticed is that even though Prefix Delegation is enabled, I NEVER see a prefix shown in the Deco user interface: always blank.

• Is this a bug in the interface?
  • Can it not determine the prefix?
  • Does the X73 support a /56 prefix? (I ask because I have seen other posts that indicate limitations in the past)

If prefix lengths vary, does the X73 automatically determine that length because there is no user interface to define it?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 536

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles