Router Configurations leave me with Double NAT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-04 09:02:03 - last edited 2022-08-04 12:04:24
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

Someone I know currently has a 3rd party router that I want setup with my network and then the VR600. The issue is that they're ISP supports PPPOE authentication through the VDSL connection. The router doesn't have any way of reading VDSL without a router and doesn't support PPPOE very well.

What they want to do is have the VR600 as a modem but it also focuses on PPPOE authentication. Once the VR600 has a public IP address, it is to send it to the 3rd party router through the VR600 ethernet port and shows up on the 3rd party router connection page.

The issue they're having is that a local IP address is being assigned to the 3rd party router, not a public IP address. Also, they can log into the modem UI through the 3rd party router which they want complete isolation. They also have double NAT.  Does anyone have a good suggestions?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Router Configurations leave me with Double NAT
2022-08-04 15:47:09

@TechForACompany 

To avoid the double NAT you could configure the VR600 as a modem only - here's a guide for that and a story.

If the 3-rd party router can't support PPPoE connection type very well, there's another option:

Keep the VR600 as DSL modem router mode and configure the 3-rd party router in AP mode.

As for the access to the VR600 - you can just set a password known to the administrator only or restrict local management to a particular LAN IP or MAC address:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-08-04 21:14:36

@terziyski Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, the 3rd party router that my customer will be connecting is a wired router and the building will provide wi-fi via access points. I believe the 3rd party router does support PPPOE however it is not good as TP-Link. If it doesn't work, how can we eliminate the double NAT issue if I have to backpedal to the start? Can we disable NAT functions on the TP-Link router and should the issue go away? 

Options
2022-08-04 21:58:20

@TechForACompany 

So what would they need this 3-rd party router for ? If it's not so good for PPPoE connection and it's a wired router, they can just connect the APs directly to the VR600 (using switches depending on the APs number).

This will avoid the double NAT and they'll have the PPPoE connection configured on the VR600.

Of course they can disable the NAT on the VR600 PPPoE connection and that may work, but if it doesn't they don't have other options besides aforementioned:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 306

Replies: 3