Deco M5 --> TL-SG108 connection problem.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-09 10:41:10
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.0

Can anybody help me? 

I have just bought my Deco M5 and want to connect it to an 8 way switch (TL-SG108) when connecting the Ethernet cable from the Deco to the switch nothing happens, but when using the same cable and connecting my PC directly to the Deco the connection works perfectly.  Is there a setting or something I need to change to get the Deco to send its signal to the switch? 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M5 --> TL-SG108 connection problem.
2022-08-10 08:13:16

@Kimotir 

Hi, have you checked whether the PC could get any IP address based on the following layout: How to find IP address on your devices

Deco M5---TL-SG108---PC?

And in case a specific port is broken, have you tried to test the PC via different Ethernet ports?

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Options
2022-08-10 19:25:48

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Thanks for the speedy reply.  Yes have tried to see if the PC got an IP address when using the Switch, and it did not.  The data light on the switch lit up instantly for the PC connection, but nothing when the Deco is connected, but yes I have tried the Deco on all 8 ports just to see without any luck.

A friend suggested a twisted and a straight through cable to see if that makes a difference, but from what I read the switch itself decides if the signal should be changed as required. Isn't that thes case? 

Options
2022-08-11 06:09:57

@Kimotir 

Thanks for the update.

A friend suggested a twisted and a straight through cable to see if that makes a difference, but from what I read the switch itself decides if the signal should be changed as required. Isn't that thes case? 

Do you mean the Straight Through Cables vs Crossover Cables? If it is, I agree with you and think they might not be relevant.

I see you mentioned the data/link light. Do you mean the data light lit up on the ports connected to PC, but not on the ports connected to Deco?

Have you tried to connect the TL-SG105 to one of the satellite M5, such as main M5)))-wifi-((( satellite M5---TL-SG105--PC?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-11 17:39:08

@David-TP 

Hi again David, and again than you for your speedy response.

"Do you mean the Straight Through Cables vs Crossover Cables? If it is, I agree with you and think they might not be relevant." - Yes this is what they were referring to, so that is probably a waste of time/money.

"I see you mentioned the data/link light. Do you mean the data light lit up on the ports connected to PC, but not on the ports connected to Deco?" - Yes that is correct.  If I have the PC plugged into the switch and the M5 plugged into the switch, the port with the PC connection lights up (and flashes as data is passed through), yet the M5 port shows nothing.

"Have you tried to connect the TL-SG105 to one of the satellite M5, such as main M5)))-wifi-((( satellite M5---TL-SG105--PC?" - Yes I have tried two setups with the M5 and switch being:
1) Main M5 - switch - PC

2) Main M5 )))-wifi-((( Satellite M5 - switch - PC

In both cases the M5 - switch part is where the connection seems to fall down.

Options
2022-08-12 03:35:29

@Kimotir 

Thanks for the update.

I tested on my side with TL-SG105/SG108, the Ethernet connection works fine.

And TL-SG105/108 also does not have any configuration menu.

Would it be possible the switch is actually broken? or Do you have an additional switch to test again, or test the same switch with another router maybe?

Options
2022-08-14 09:19:52

@David-TP 

Hi David,

To be honest it looks like you are correct; the switch might be damaged.  I do not have another switch to work with, but I have tried it on my old router, and it will not identify the network.  

I have also tried to set up a LAN party on it using other known good devices (with all other Network adapters disabled), and it will not identify a network between the 2 computers. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 279

Replies: 6

Related Articles