Tether app shows 0 clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-09 12:42:26
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

I have an AX4400 as my main router with an A9 and A10 set up as access points throughout my home. I frequently find the A9 and A10 access points showing 0 clients on the tether app. I called tech support and was told that the tether app will always show the clients as connected to the main router (ax4400) and the clients will not show as connected to the individual access points. This is obviously not true because most of the time I can see the clients that are connected to each of the access points. Can anyone help me understand why the access points periodically drop their clients, and how to keep this from happening? When I restart the access points it does help, but it's only a matter of time before they drop their clients again in t

Options
5 Reply
Re:Tether app shows 0 clients
2022-08-10 06:28:58

@Jwood81 

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

1. Are the network names of the AX4400, A9, and A10 different from each other so that you can easily distinguish them?

2. Are the client devices display correctly on the A9 or A10's web interface page?

3. How did you connect the A9/A10 to the AX4400, via their WAN port or LAN port? Are there any other switches or extenders between the A9/A10 and the AX4400?

4. How about the DHCP Server setting on the A9/A10? Try changing it to Auto if there is a setting menu on the web interface.

Options
2022-08-10 11:19:16

@Kevin_Z 

1. no the network names are the same for both access points. The ssid for the a9 and a10 is the same as the ax4400. My understanding was that this is how they should be set up so I can easily move between access points without having to change networks. Is this not correct?

2. yes, the web displays correctly (it shows the clients) even though tether shows 0 clients. 

3.  A9 and a10 are connected via WAN. And yes I do have a switch connecting the access points to the ax4400.

4. The DHCP setting is set to auto for all 3 devices. 

Options
2022-08-11 07:01:15

@Jwood81 

So the network diagram is as follows:

AX4400 --- network switch --- (WAN) A9 

--- (WAN) A10   

When the client devices are connected to the A9/A10, the Tether app shows 0 clients for both of them, am I correct? How about when logging to the AX4400 on the Tether app at that moment, does it display all the clients correctly? As the support explained, when the A9/A10 is working as an access point, it may not show the connected devices to the network, as the "connected clients" are based on the DHCP server leased addresses. And when you have the AX4400 handling the DHCP, you may not see all the connected clients in the device set as "access point" mode.

Options
2022-08-11 15:04:40

@Kevin_Z 

so most of the time it's only the a9 that shows 0 clients. And it's very sporadic- most of the time I can see all of the clients in tether for the a9, but randomly it will display 0 clients. And to answer your question, when the a9 shows 0 clients the ax44 does NOT show the clients connected to it that should be connected to the a9. Also as I mentioned earlier when I check the web interface it shows as having connected clients for the A9 even though tether shows zero clients. So that is why I do not understand the notion that the clients are defaulting back to the AMEX 4400 when all signs indicate that I am still connected to the A9 even though tether shows zero clients. can you also please help me understand how I should be setting up the SSIDs for these access points? Is it OK to use the same SSID throughout the entire network including access points, or should I be using different SSIDs for each access point? 

Options
2022-09-21 00:14:50 - last edited 2022-09-21 00:16:07

Archer C9

@Jwood81 This happens to me when I setup parental controls on the router web interface. Once I deleted the entries and disabled parental controls, the clients numbers were no longer 0 on tether.

I'll try setting up parental controls from tether this and see if the issues reoccurs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1186

Replies: 5

Related Articles